Washer wiper issue

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mike9009
80-90 Mem No: 0

Washer wiper issue

Post by mike9009 »

Hi

Thought I would post a solution I have just solved rather than an issue!

My screen wash has never worked that well in 8 years ownership. Somehow it always passes the MOT even though the spray has reduced to a dribble. I alway carry a manual window cleaning solution.  A few years ago I thought it had simply run out of fluid, so topped up. It spewed the fluid all over the floor so I the presumed the bottle was cracked.

Anyway, this evening I thought I would investigate.

I got the bottle out easily (three 10mm bolts). As it dropped loads of washer fluid emptied over the drive.  Along with some massive sludge of 'something'!  Reattached it, filled it up with proper screen wash and now works perfectly.  I presume the previous owner had filled it with washing up liquid or similar.

Ten minutes and problem solved after eight years. Somewhat embarrassed but relieved.  Thought this might help someone......

Mike

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Washer wiper issue

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I had a similar problem with mine having to probe the jets with a needle all the time, eventually removed one of the jets and blew it through with a bicycle pump, cleared the blockage but nearly lost the hose that attaches to it inside the bodywork, will take a look at my tank also as the blockage probably originated from there.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Mine works fine but in spite of, or more likely because of, no flush out and regular use since acquired in 2006, Mr Bean says that use of the washers fills the cab with a revolting smell.

I, admittedly being a bit weak in most of the senses :roll: failing to detect it.

In view of the apparent ease of access - never thought to check. I might have ago at removing it for flushing.
:ok
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Putting the hose pipe ( are we still allowed those ) in the top and just letting it flow for a while normally flushed out any gunk in there , which is ok if you have a rubber floor mat ...

it’s actually quite nasty stuff that gunk you get in washer bottles , carries bugs that make you poorly so be careful 
I don’t use screen wash additive very often , and mine seems to be pretty clear in the bottle when I look with the endoscopic camera , but have seen some that are really quite slimy .  Definitely do not use washing up liquid , it’s pretty much all salt . 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper