DG 1.9 Pierburg Carb Refurb

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

DG 1.9 Pierburg Carb Refurb

Post by aknapper »

Thought I'd post a good news story:  refurbishing my Pierburg carb on my DG 1.9 waterboxer last summer WAS A GOOD IDEA :ok .  The van is running really well now.  I'm even able to 'accelerate' up hills in 4th when fully loaded! (well at least not decelerate...)
I bought the refurb/reseal kit from Brickwerks and some new vac hose.  I watched the refurb carb videos posted by Sir something as they were very helpful, plus downloaded the test/setting instructions.  There was nothing wrong with my Pierburg but a good clean and reseal seemed to do the trick nicely.
I did buy a second Pierburg on Ebay to practise on first.  It worked great so I sold it on.  The only trauma was on my original the resin choke stop piece broke and there was naught to be found or made, until Mocki saved my a$$ and sent me a spare.
So, if you're having wee niggles about acceleration, idle etc, then tackling a refub of your carb may be a good idea (if you're handy).  If you're not, I think I saw reference to a place down south that will do it for you (£££). 
1987 Komet Hightop DG

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: DG 1.9 Pierburg Carb Refurb

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Well done. Extremely satisfying no doubt. Very rewarding when you DIY
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Got to agree with this, I did mine a couple of years ago, very satisfying if a bit daunting at first :D
1983 DG Kamper 2

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Got to agree with this, I did mine a couple of years ago, very satisfying if a bit daunting at first :D
1983 DG Kamper 2