Clutch Level

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Maximus
80-90 Mem No: 17202

Clutch Level

Post by T25Maximus »

Hello All,
I hope you can help a new comer to the T25 with a clutch question. I have a leak in the clutch slave cylinder (and clutch line) and have taken it off to refurbish or replace. I am worried that the clutch lever into the gear box is not behaving as it should. I can move it about 20mm (clutch on and off) but it does not spring back to the OFF position. It’s not loose but it just stays where I put it. Is this correct? Should it not spring back to the clutch off position? Not sure I understand how it will work if this is correct. If its not correct, then what is wrong and how do I fix it?
The background is this van as a project and I have only had it a couple of weeks. It’s not been on the road for 2 years so I don’t know if the clutch was working before. It’s a 4 speed petrel 1984. Hoping you can send some wisdom my way. Thanks for reading.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Re: Clutch Level

Post by colinthefox »

It takes serious force to disengage the clutch with the lever. This force is provided by the slave cylinder, and you won't be able to disengage the clutch by moving the lever by hand. The movement you can feel is the free play with the clutch fully engaged. It all seems pretty normal to me. If the van has been standing for a long time the clutch plate might well be rusted onto the flywheel and may need freeing up before it will disengage. This doesn't mean that the mechanism isn't working OK. If that happens just get back on here for advice on freeing it up.

Enjoy your new van. There's probably a lot of learning to do...............
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

T25Maximus

Post by T25Maximus »

Thank you so much for reassuring reply. I will reassembly and see what happens. As you say, lots to learn. I am looking forward to the journey. :)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Just to confuse you I'd say the opposite - 20mm movement seems excessive to me, that's what you have with the clutch not present, I'd be planning on removing the box and seeing what is going on with the clutch because the clutch pressure plate should be preventing you from moving the arm, normally the clutch seizes corroded in the on position. I reckon the clutch fork has a broken arm so the release bearing isn't being operated correctly, look forward to hearing more bout what you find

T25Maximus

Post by T25Maximus »

Thanks for reply Aidan, I will keep removing the box in the plan then. I guess there is no problem repairing the clutch pipe and give it a try first.
Cheers
Peter