Engine cuts out and accelerator doesnt full respond

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kimmypwizzle
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine cuts out and accelerator doesnt full respond

Post by kimmypwizzle »

Hi Guys, can anyone offer any advice. I had a new engine fitted last year. Since it was fitted, intermittently the van cuts out when i come to a stop.It also shows a few other symptoms. Normally just before this happens, when driving then accelerator doesnt fully respond. Also after its cut out, next few times you try and start it up, it takes quite a few goes at turning it over. Yesterday it sounded like it wasnt going to start at all.

Although i have had the van 11yrs ,you can tell by my description I know bugger all about how things work. However it feels it could fuel related?

I had a new pump last year just before the engine.

Had so many issues with it last yr, would be so nice to have a problem free post lockdown camping session :)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Kim

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Engine cuts out and accelerator doesnt full respond

Post by jrt »

Hello, what engine do you have? You’ll probably have to start systematically checking everything, vacuum leaks,fuel delivery, failing coil, ht leads,timing etc I had a sudden bad case of it holding back when i tried to accelerate and it was a holed accelerator pump diaphragm so it was an easy fix. What does the garage that fitted the engine have to say, if it’s never been right i would have a word with them?
David.
the future is unwritten

kimmypwizzle

Post by kimmypwizzle »

Thanks for taking time to respond David and for the advise. Its a petrol 1.9. I will go back to garage, because its intermittent, i guess that makes it harder to diagnose?

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Yes but they/you can check the simple things first like all vacuum pipes secure, no air leaks from carb etc, that the fuel pump is working correctly, test the coil with a multimeter, fuel filter and little cone filter in the carb( if pierburg) are clear etc. Let us know how you get on. Add your van details (engine/fuel) to your post to help others. If you post running rough or holding back in the search bar (top right) related posts will come up. :ok
David.
the future is unwritten

kimmypw

Post by kimmypw »

Thanks David, it bearly made it home this evening, looks like it may be on its way to the garage on a tow truck. Will post how i get on and check out the other posts as suggested.

kimmypwizzle

Post by kimmypwizzle »

Turns out it was the carb in need of a clean out. Jets and top part were cleaned and its now running well again. Sorry for the lack of technical detial!

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

kimmypwizzle wrote:Turns out it was the carb in need of a clean out. Jets and top part were cleaned and its now running well again. Sorry for the lack of technical detial!
thanks for the update, I bet you are happy now it's running okay again.

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Check your fuel filter as well, if it's full of crap swap it out or the carb will probably get blocked again and you will be back to square one.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

kimmypw

Post by kimmypw »

Perfect thanks for that, will get the fuel filter checked next few days :)