Running fine on driveway - cuts out when driving

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

georgespie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Running fine on driveway - cuts out when driving

Post by georgespie »

Right, so was having some intermittent issues with my 1983 1.9 petrol W/box T25 upon starting up, changed the manifold gasket, serviced the carb (SOLEX 34 PICT 5) and set it all up took me a while mind but got there in the end, also had an issue where it wouldn't then realised there was another adjusting screw for the hot idle so got that sorted - purrs like a kitten on the driveway cold and also up the temp now, but taking it for a spin it still managed to stall and cut out was wondering if anybody had any ideas what the cause could be? I have a new fuel pump although changed back to the old one because didn't seem to make much difference during the carb issues I had, could try changing it back to the new but worked far too long on the thing for one week!

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
George

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Re: Running fine on driveway - cuts out when driving

Post by phinw »

Have you checked all the vacuum hoses and the vacuum advance on the distributor? A perforated vac advance will cause it to stall when ever you slow down or stop at a junction for example.
1988 1.9 DG

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Also the vac pipe to the brake servo can cause these symptoms if it’s leaking or damage, or indeed not connected well
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

Have you checked that fuel is getting to the pump from the tank? Is the fuel filter ok?
1983 DG Kamper 2

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Difficult to diagnose without actually being there but don't fix/change more than one thing at a time so you don't inadvertantly slip in another fault on your way. Plus make sure to mark/count turns on any adjustments you may make. OK Granny :wink:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Mr Bean wrote:Difficult to diagnose without actually being there but don't fix/change more than one thing at a time so you don't inadvertantly slip in another fault on your way. Plus make sure to mark/count turns on any adjustments you may make. OK Granny :wink:
Well put .
The art of fault finding diagnostics is to only do one thing at once , start at one point and work your way along
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper