Idling issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

georgespie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Idling issues

Post by georgespie »

Hi everyone,

I was having some intermittent issues with my 1983 1.9 petrol W/box T25 upon starting up, figured it was the gaskets from the carb to the manifold as it had split badddd, so picked a nice new one up to fit over the weekend. I had the carb off so thought it best to service and clean out while it was off so went ahead, didn't change any joints / parts was just very careful and cleaned all the parts I could get to / get off with some brake cleaner, I also changed the fuel pump I may add. So I refit the carb and try to start her up with no joy, figure its because of the settings. Tried all day today tuning the settings back and forth finally got somewhere and it started, tried to tune according to this: http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html#carb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; managed to fiddle a little with the settings given (in and out on the bypass and volume control) and had it running but on very low revs once the choke is fully open - now the main issue being once it hits full choke off (top butterfly valve fully open) the engine cuts out from low revs or barely holds. Starts fine with the choke on but once it opens and the choke goes off and engine is warm the engine cuts out. Got it running at a very low rev idling and I can rev no issue, as soon as I take my foot/hand off and the revs drop, the engine cuts out - it's as if it doesn't want to idle when hot, trying not to take this the garage as I'm sure it's just a mixture issue but think I'm close to doing so - any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
George

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Re: Idling issues

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Have you set the throttle butterfly gap in the venturi bore.. :?:

About 0.8 mm does the trick.. :wink:

Here is a video with a pict 34/4, which shows you how to set the gap..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dctz_4dKoJo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps..

Cordialement,

:ok