Tappet Clip??

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Tappet Clip??

Post by Stesaw »

Doing some undersealing on the van, noticed a small oil weep from one of the rocker covers, took the cover off to check if the gasket needed replacing or just reseating it. As I took off the cover and heard something metallic fall into the cover....

This looks like a tappet clip? has my van given me another job?
Last edited by Stesaw on 14 May 2020, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Re: Tappet Clip??

Post by Cobra88 »

yep looks like a follower clip :?

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

erk..

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

I guess I'd have to check the condition of the tappet to make sure it isn't damaged.

Would you guys say just get another clip if its OK or replace the tappet?

Cobra88

Post by Cobra88 »

If tappets are still quiet you should be ok replacing the clip

But you need to make sure there is no other damage as it looks like the pushrod wasn't fitted correctly at some point after removal
To damage the clip like that ( done that myelf before inleaned to spin the pushrods to make sure they are seared in the follower

Rick

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Cobra88 wrote:If tappets are still quiet you should be ok replacing the clip

But you need to make sure there is no other damage as it looks like the pushrod wasn't fitted correctly at some point after removal
To damage the clip like that ( done that myelf before inleaned to spin the pushrods to make sure they are seared in the follower

Rick

Seems like one bleeds down really fast if I leave the van for a few days (which I assume is the one without the clip) Was loud today when I started the van up after about 4 days of it sitting. Went out for about 20 min drive and it's gone quiet again.

Nice bit of info there about the pushrods, I will remember that when I have a gander at it. :ok

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Update: So today was a mixed bag, Got my rear heater installed and all wired up working great, decided it was time to look at this tappet situation.
So usual stuff, Cover off, rocker arm off. Out come pushrods, when rolling them on a flat surface two bent one slightly with the other having quite a bend going (both from the same cylinder). Then out comes the tappets.

Erk... The other bent clip popped off just after I took those pictures.
Me thinks I need a at least one new tappet there? or is it ideal to replace all of them?
Gonna be checking the other side of the engine tomorrow or over the weekend... :run

As for replacing tappets, theres quite a few to choose from. Going to assume avoid all the cheap tat, but some suggestions as to the "best" ones to pick up would be nice :ok

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

OK, so did the other side of the engine today,

One Tappet with no clip everything else OK (ish) with no bent pushrods :ok

However all but one of the tappets seem to have chips around the lip areas. Do I replace the lot? or are they servicable.. if that's the case where the heck do I buy tappet retaining clips? :?

Cobra88

Post by Cobra88 »

Hi Stesaw

At some point someone has removed the pushrods and then put them back in without them being seated in the followers
Very easily done. (done it myself but not run the engine)

but then they have run the engine which is the damage you see.(unless those half moon cutouts are to make the clips easier to remove??)

personally i would buy 8 new ones and keep the ones with no damage in your van toolkit.

Itchyfeet is probably the one to comment but i doubt he has not got them seated properly as he actually knows what he's doing unlike most of us :roll:

Regards
Rick

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

At the OPs request...

it's quite normal for the cam followers to have two or three semicircular cutouts in the top lip, its a production feature.
Broken clips are (I believe) a result of repeatedly drained down followers (caused by stuck valves/dirt) allowing the hydraulic piston to hammer the clip and then causing it to fail.

The clips arent available loose and fwiw I'd always fit new followers on a rebuild.

New cam means new followers, everytime.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

PS always inspect and polish/stone all the corners on new followers as they can have little dings which can score the tappet bore in the case ;)

If they dont drop in easily with the engine on a stand and "on its ear" then there's a burr catching.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

silverbullet wrote:At the OPs request...

it's quite normal for the cam followers to have two or three semicircular cutouts in the top lip, its a production feature.
Broken clips are (I believe) a result of repeatedly drained down followers (caused by stuck valves/dirt) allowing the hydraulic piston to hammer the clip and then causing it to fail.

The clips arent available loose and fwiw I'd always fit new followers on a rebuild.

New cam means new followers, everytime.

Seems very odd to see those semicircular cutouts as some of them look really rough, I just assumed they'd been beaten to a pulp, but I'm glad in a way thats not the case... or at least for some of them... :ok
In terms of what aftermarket tappets to get, I guess the ones from brickworks would be the best bet.

silverbullet wrote:PS always inspect and polish/stone all the corners on new followers as they can have little dings which can score the tappet bore in the case ;)

If they dont drop in easily with the engine on a stand and "on its ear" then there's a burr catching.

The engines still in the van :rofl But I will keep that in mind for sure :ok

PS thanks for the reply :ok
Last edited by Stesaw on 21 May 2020, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.