Separating ball joint of wiper spindle

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattyGreg05
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3049

Separating ball joint of wiper spindle

Post by MattyGreg05 »

Morning all.

Before I set about causing chaos with my van I thought it would be best to ask if the easier option is possible etc.

I’d rather not have to remove the whole frame, motor, linkages and both spindles just to replace the rich wiper spindle so I’m hoping it’s possible to remove and replace the right side spindle in situ with the dash still in place.
I can see and access the body of the spindle from under the right hand side of the dash but not sure how to separate the ball joint connecting the linkage to the spindle arm.

Is it possible to do please? And also, if so, what’s the easiest way I can serpate the ball spindle ball joint from the linkage please?

Thanks all. :?:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Separating ball joint of wiper spindle

Post by Aidan »

I used two pry bars to separate the spindle from the linkage to send to you, it's just a moulded plastic insert the ball fits in but the linkage will bend easily at the end as it is just flat metal and not very thick, a small ball joint separating fork might work if you can get it in but I didn't have one hence the two pry bars, might actually be easier with the spindle still fixed to the dash/body, with it on the bench holding it still whilst applying pressure was the difficult bit, spindle kept wanting to spin

MattyGreg05
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3049

Post by MattyGreg05 »

Aidan wrote:I used two pry bars to separate the spindle from the linkage to send to you, it's just a moulded plastic insert the ball fits in but the linkage will bend easily at the end as it is just flat metal and not very thick, a small ball joint separating fork might work if you can get it in but I didn't have one hence the two pry bars, might actually be easier with the spindle still fixed to the dash/body, with it on the bench holding it still whilst applying pressure was the difficult bit, spindle kept wanting to spin

OMG I hope I don’t end up having to remove the dash.
Although I do also have a new heater motor which I’d like to install.

fadeawayfast
80-90 Mem No: 17104

Post by fadeawayfast »

I snapped off both of the end spindles from the wipers at separate points, just over tightening the small nuts when changing wiper arms. Major case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it. "

Anyhow... I took the dash out part of the way but kept pretty much everything connected aside from the dials / light switches. Steering wheel needed to be loosened also on the column.

I popped off the linkage on the driver side, then unscrewed the motor and screws holding the spindles in (screws at the bottom of windscreen, next to the dash screws) and pulled the whole unit out the passenger side. Not a fun job and most of it was done blind without really seeing what your doing. Sure it would be alot simper with the dash fully out.

Not really useful images but shows it can be done with the dash still in place :|

1985 RHD 1.9 Twin Slider Caravelle C DG engine
SE London

https://www.instagram.com/sometimesvans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;