Radiator core size

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Radiator core size

Post by 123-jn »

Hi folks,
When looking for a rad to replace my leaky one I knew mine wasnt as thin as 32mm so I ordered thge other readily available 44mm radiator. I have finally got round to removing the front LPG tank in order to change the rad and having removed mine I have been shocked to find that the core thickness of mine is a whopping 60mm. It has plastic tanks and an aluminium very finely packed core. The new one as plastic tanks and a more open core and is only 44mm thick. It was advertised as the one for the AUTO although my gearbox now uses its own air/oil cooler so doesnt add heat to the coolant. Has anyone else ever had such a monster thick core. Heres hoping the new one will manage the job!!!!
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Radiator core size

Post by maxstu »

Well lve changed mine recently. Out came a rather nasty and corroded original VW 068121253E radiator. Not sure of dimensions, but the new one is exactly the same in all directions.
BYW l also have a DJ 2.1 auto and the temp needle always sits just beyond the centre, just touching right side of red light. And with towing a folding caravan doesnt go much more towards the right.
But l have fitted a chicken switch. Needed in south east when in slow traffic. Especially heading toward either tunnels.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

When I fitted my exchange engine recently I replaced the (probably original) radiator which was a bit battered and appeared clogged with paint and detritus deep within the fins. I was surprised that the new one looked thinner but put it down to more efficient technology - yes I know :roll: . I did have a nagging suspicion that I might have missed an opportunity to "upgrade" to a more capable radiator but as I had other bigger fish to fry so to speak I put it into the "round to it" cupboard where it sits comfortably among several other outstanding good intentions - no "while you are in lock down" suggestions please.
Any input?
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Even a seemingly thinner new rad would have to cool better than a 30+ year old one surely?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

There are 2 core thicknesses, around 34mm as fitted to 1.9l Df, DG etc and the thicker one at around 44mm.
Mounting wise they are interchangeable, tanks are the same (or were originally) only the core thickness changes.
A lot of aftermarket suppliers have bad cross references and list the part number for the thicker core against the thinner one.
There are also some really cheap ones with a plastic bleed screw that fouls the upper mounting bracket so you have to grind a corner off the bracket to be able to unscrew the knob! :lol:
You need to be spending around £100 at least to get a decent rad, all the cheap ones everyone was going on about from ECP recently were the thin ones.
Effects of the wrong core thickness.
On a 1.9l You'll be fine, on anything else you'll find temps creeping on long ascents and maybe a little boiling episode at the top!
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks