Early DG - Crankshaft Oil Thrower problem (pulley end)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

airheadboxer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Early DG - Crankshaft Oil Thrower problem (pulley end)

Post by airheadboxer »

Can anyone help please - I need a crankshaft oil thrower for the pulley end of the crank of my early DG, part number 025 105 241.

I’ve tried the usual suspects (e.g. BW, JK, AS and VW/Audi) but no luck. VW Heritage don’t have it listed either.

Or does anyone have a serviceable used one they’d swap for some beer tokens please. Or does anyone know if this goes under another part number by any chance?

When I can get the image smaller to upload I'll add it later so you can see the problem

Many thanks, Brian

airheadboxer

Re: Early DG - Crankshaft Oil Thrower problem (pulley end)

Post by airheadboxer »

I've had a suggestion that a 2l Aircooled oil thrower might fit a DG engine - has anyone done that or got one that they could measure please?. The crankshaft diameter is 36mm, but the internal diameter of the old thrower looks to be more like 38mm, but thats a guess due to the state of it. I'm assuming this is the correct oil thrower for this engine.

As promised, here is a picture of the old oil thrower:

DSCF1555.JPG
DSCF1555.JPG (111.62 KiB) Viewed 3101 times

Not a pretty sight. It looks like the pulley sleeve has tried to punch an offset hole through the thrower.

In my defence, this is nothing I have done. I came across this through a series of events, and when I get the piccies off the camera (had to retake the pics to get the file size down for uploading) I'll upload a couple to show how I got to this.

Brian.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

it's the same early and late , 025105241

You are right I can't see it for sale but can't see why you could not make one from sheet steel, I can measure and draw it up for you later :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Righto, got one here and measured for you...

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

airheadboxer

Post by airheadboxer »

Brilliant, thanks for that itchyfeet.
Just a couple of observations:
- You've shown it as being flat - I didn't realise that! My damaged one looks to be convex/concave and not having seen another one it was that seeming complexity (and the fact that the internal diameter wasn't clear) that was giving me the jitters about trying to make one. And being flat explains why I've not seen any reference to which way round it should be.

- The shape is unusual, so does this have to be located in a particular way when being installed? Probably seems a daft question but I ask this because just before I bought my van the previous owner had the thermostat changed, and from the clean condition of all the nuts and bolts in the area it looks like the mechanic took the pump and pipes off as well, and possibly the pulley – so could he have inadvertently dislodged and then trapped the oil thrower when he put it back on? (something I'd need to avoid if so). Understanding this might help me to get to the bottom of what caused the damage to mine so I can avoid it happening again.

Many thanks,
Brian
1984 DG Autosleeper

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

It's a crude piece of engineering.
you don't even need it but you may get more oil leaking through a worn seal.

Just make one similar.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

itchyfeet wrote:It's a crude piece of engineering.

Just make one similar.

Sad but I wonder how many people nowadays would have the skill set to get anywhere close to make one :?
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

tobydog wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:It's a crude piece of engineering.

Just make one similar.

Sad but I wonder how many people nowadays would have the skill set to get anywhere close to make one :?

I do and coupd do it at home with simple tools. you could buy a small body panel as the material if you had no sheet steel.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

tobydog

Post by tobydog »

A mate of mine has an engineering company with a nice collection of Charmille machines, amongst them -

https://www.gfms.com/country_UK/en/Prod ... -1000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be accurate enough... 8)
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

tobydog wrote:A mate of mine has an engineering company with a nice collection of Charmille machines, amongst them -

https://www.gfms.com/country_UK/en/Prod ... -1000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be accurate enough... 8)

I drew it as I measured it in case anybody wanted to make them but it really does not need to be to 0.1mm tolerance.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

tobydog

Post by tobydog »

Airhead, I'm working from home this week and will be probably gettting very bored, I'd be happy to make one for you if you need it.....
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

airheadboxer

Post by airheadboxer »

Nice piece of kit tobydog.

The whole story of how I ended up here goes like this (those of you who are more experienced in these things will probably roll your eyes at my naivety!) – it's not as interesting as many of the theads on here, but there may be something in it that helps somebody at some stage…….

- rear left manifold breaks, head has studs so can’t slide manifold off studs without removing thermostat housing (early DG remember), thermo housing comes off water pump OK without having to remove the pump. Order new manifold.

- got bored waiting for new manifold to turn up so I started to clean the crud up in the pulley area and notice the water pipe from pump to right-hand head has no gap between it and the crank pulley. That’s odd as I’d not heard any noises from that area, so remove the water pipe and find these marks ….

DSCF1556.JPG
DSCF1556.JPG (111.65 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

- Checked for any excessive end float on the crank, none detected. Ordered new pipe and water pump (as I’d come this far is seemed silly not to replace it)

- New stuff arrives. Out of interest tried to fit the new water pipe to the still in-situ old water pump and I couldn’t get the new pipe to fit fully because it’s up against the crank pulley. Test fit the new pipe and the new water pipe and hey-presto, I have a gap between the pipe and pulley. Compared the new pump to the old pump and notice that the machined face that the water pipe fits on to is a few millimetres further out placing the pipe closer to the pulley. See photo (old pump on left)……

DSCF1570.JPG
DSCF1570.JPG (105.37 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

- This didn’t explain why the old pump, which looked to be old but in good condition, should suddenly become a problem. Anyway, reassembled everything, started engine only to hear a loud clanking noise from the pulley area. Checked pulley-to-pipe clearance – there’s none again!

- Checked the pulley was not loose, it wasn’t but I could detect a small rotation of the pulley even though the bolt was tight. Removed bolt, pulley very sloppy on crank shaft and woodruff key is worn. This picture below shows the wear ridge in the pulley sleeve which allows for a large amount of movement on the shaft. It’s 2/3 of the way down the sleeve because that’s as far as the shaft goes in, the pulley is in effect a short distance away from the end of the shaft so there must be some leverage from the fan belt. I guess it was extended out that way to allow the water pipe to go behind the pulley without extending the crank shaft (?).....

DSCF1563.JPG
DSCF1563.JPG (112.1 KiB) Viewed 3005 times

- Decide I’m going to have to replace the crank seal I start cleaning up round the seal lip and spotted small bits of metal. Went further in with a cotton bud and found a half moon slither of metal (see first picture), so removed oil thrower to find the middle was damaged as in first photo.

I’ve only done maybe less than 300 miles since buying the van and can’t believe that this has all happened in that time. I can only think this may be linked to the tension of the fan belt over a period of time?

Now waiting for more new bits and praying there's no more problems to be found.
1984 DG Autosleeper