Carb again

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Carb again

Post by Theclash »

When I set high idle on top step of cam the adjuster screw is way of touching,is it a case of adjusting the screw until it just touches ? The tamperproof cap is still on so don’t know if it’s ever been messed with carb is 2e3
Got pics but won’t let me upload

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Carb again

Post by kevtherev »

So when you depress the accelerator to set the choke and cold idle before cranking, the fast idle screw is not resting on the top step?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Thanks for a reply Kev you were the only one to offer help, the decline of forums is evident Facebook is the new thing but nothing on there is archived, anyway back to the carb......it as never been quite right on cold start since I bought it 5 years ago little bit of hesitation till warm, I have taken carb off and found a spring behind the choke housing not attached but couldn’t work out where it went. Also the stepped cam was not under tension and was free wheeling so to speak. I could see where the choke flap spring attached to the leg shaped bracket but couldn’t understand where the other spring attached there was an identical leg shaped bracket and this turned out (after watching many videos on YouTube and pictures on here) to be bent out of shape. I teased it back into position (side of the other leg) attached the spring and set choke gap with screw sitting on top cam , I then set cam to second step and set revs at 2000 once warm. I haven’t been out in van yet as it’s raining and he’s dry in garage but when I do I shall report back
Long live the forums

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

Hi, this link might be of some use.
https://vwt25.blog/2016/09/15/pierburg- ... justments/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Ok thanks guys for your help
Quick update ....started van and to my relief it’s working as it should
So once again thanks for your help

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Well that's a relief.
And by following a simple set up guide?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Theclash

Post by Theclash »

Well not so simple as part of the mechanism was bent out of shape and a spring unattached but I worked it out without any input or suggestions on here unless we’re counting sarcasm