Faulty starter motor

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mbcamper
80-90 Mem No: 13121

Faulty starter motor

Post by mbcamper »

I'm having a run of issues at the moment and the latest is the starter motor.

Problem is it sometimes fails to turn. I hear the solenoid click every time, but it often doesn't turn over. All connections are good and I'm getting good voltage readings to the starter terminals.

Annoyingly I had exactly the same issue about 3 years ago and replaced the motor with a reconditioned unit. The rebuild quality must have been poor.

I'd really like to rebuild it myself so I know the job is done properly with new solenoid and brushes, but I can't find a supplier for the parts. I can only find more reconditioned units. Does anyone know where I can get the service parts?

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Faulty starter motor

Post by multisi »

What engine is it for ? I have a NOS genuine vw recon diesel starter.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

mbcamper
80-90 Mem No: 13121

Post by mbcamper »

1.9 DG wbx. Not sure that starter will fit, but thanks for offering.

I'm really wanting to reconditioned it myself. It's likely to be cheaper and I know it will be done properly.

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE- ... 3034992887

ebay...... but you'll need to determine which kit you need, there's a few available and I know this one doesn't include electrical components
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

any decent alternator repair place will have the book of parts from the main supplier to the trade (I can't remember the name) and should be able to get you the necessary bits. The part that most people don't replace is the cap for the solenoid which is the most important part as that is the bit that is transmitting the 40amp to the starter and the arcing on making contact eventually destroys the contacts; the cap is a crimped in part so some skill is required to remove without damaging the case and ideally a small fly press and suitable mandrel is required to re-crimp it, which is why most cheap rebuilds don't have it done - you need to make sure that you get the cap with the long stud for the battery and alternator connection and they may have to order them in threes as a lot of parts for alternators from the main supplier are in threes, but you'll be able to sell the caps you don't use. That's why many rebuilds don't have the correct cap, they just fit the golf cap which is the short vw pattern and only keep that in stock.