heater cables

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hilift
80-90 Mem No: 0

heater cables

Post by hilift »

need some advice , a good few years ago I replaced the heater cables on my air cooled t25
I thought at the time there seemed to be bits missing at the rear where the cables meet the air flaps ,I ordered the cables and the fittings but the fittings didn't seem to fit anywhere , so just cobbled it together .
the heater worked in a round about way so I just left it .
any way just recently I realized the cables had seized ,so yesterday it removed them and un seized them refitted to the van and the lever still wont pull the cables . the flaps open and close easily by hand but not when the cables are connected .
cables move ok when disconnected from flaps , but looking at the diagrams there are bits missing ,like some form of outer cable sheathing clamp restrainer at the rear , this could possibly be the problem .
when we bought the van 12 years ago the cables were absent as fumes were entering the cabin and the flaps had been cable tied shut .

help please need some heat now as don't do cold anymore !!!!!!

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: heater cables

Post by bigherb »

You should have these parts in this arrangement on the end of the cable.

It all fits together and fits into the bracket, this a CU engine. CT engines use the other bracket.

Sealed with a rubber bellows.

Then the cable depending on engine uses a link and a screw trunion or just the trunion to attach to the heater box arm.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Very helpful as usual.You are a big asset to this forum Bigherb.
:ok
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Thank you Rob.

hilift

Post by hilift »

ahhaaa very interesting thanks for the reply , i have none of that gubbins ,just the cable core and the black sheathing and none of it is anchored at the back .

i have trawled thru the usual suspects in the parts suppliers and no one nobody lists any of these bits other than the bellows piece .

unless someone knows better ????

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Looks like only second hand now.
These are the part numbers to search for.

hilift

Post by hilift »

Bigherb yer a star !!! ,
It looks like there,s a lot of parts missing on my bus didnt realize there is a guide tube too .
i,m going to have to have another look under mine at the weekend in case ive overlooked the guide i presume there are 2 one each side .
watch this space !!!! :ok

acebaraka
80-90 Mem No: 16275

Post by acebaraka »

Hi I realise this is a very old thread but I’m also trying to return to original and working condition a PO cobbled together heating system on an air cooled CU engine 81 camper. I think the images no longer available in this thread could be quite useful to me. Are they still available anywhere?

Thanks
1981 2.0 CU Air Cooled 4 Speed Manual

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

acebaraka wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 15:56
Hi I realise this is a very old thread but I’m also trying to return to original and working condition a PO cobbled together heating system on an air cooled CU engine 81 camper. I think the images no longer available in this thread could be quite useful to me. Are they still available anywhere?

Thanks
Is this what you are after?

acebaraka

Post by acebaraka »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, that is really useful. Over Christmas I have removed what I have and more or less have what is in your pictures.

I have the new cables and think I understand how they are held in the coloured sheath and how that is held to the bracket on the chassis. What I don’t understand is how the inner cables attach to the arms on the heater pods.

The part that seems to be sold is this

https://www.justkampers.com/111-298-101 ... -1983.html

And I guess the solid end to the cable goes into the little trunion and is locked off in the correct position by the bolt. Then the pin with circlip end goes through a hole in the arm on the heater pod. That would make sense if the arm was straight but it has a 90 degree twist in it so my hole in the arm runs at 90 degrees to where the pin with circlip would be. Is the part in the link correct for this application? The heater pods sold by JK for this year have twisted arms like mine so guessing this is correct.

I can think of a number of ways to make something work but I would quite like to use the correct parts.

Am I being thick and missing something? And do you or anyone have any photos of the cable joining the arm?

Thanks

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

That link didn't work for me.  This kit, but you only use the solderless nipple from the kit to clamp the cable. The other part is if you have a 1600cc engine. https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t25-part ... -1983.html

acebaraka

Post by acebaraka »

Thanks

Your link was for the same kit I was looking at. Just using the solderless nipple will work but the hole in the arm is quite big like there used to be a different type of fitting?

Anyway will go with the nipple, thanks for your helpful replies :D :wink: