Brakes squeal when driving and stops when brakes applied.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nick&Yvette
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brakes squeal when driving and stops when brakes applied.

Post by Nick&Yvette »

Some one has previously asked almost the exact same question back in 2012 but the link to it no longer works.

When the van warms up after say 5-6 mins the brakes will start to almost constantly squeal when driving, especially noticeable when driving slowly but that might just be because i can hear it clearer.
When i apply the brake lightly the tone of the squeal gets higher and then stops when you press the brake pedal properly.

I've got meat left on the pads and the wheel bearings were changed recently if that has any importance.

My first port of call will be copper grease on the back of the pads, but does anyone else have any suggestions as i know at least one other person on here has the same sounding problem.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Brakes squeal when driving and stops when brakes applied.

Post by RogerT »

Does the wheel get hot when you're driving? If so it suggests the brake is binding (is that the correct term?). I'd also suggest bearings but I see you've done them already. Rear bearings squeal when dying, at least mine did.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

Had squealing front brakes recently after fitting new pads, tried copaslip on the back of the pads as well as with and without shims. Cured the squealing by fitting a set of decent pads (Brembo). Bought them from Eurocarparts when they had one of their weekend deals on.
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I used to have this noise. It was OK for a while with new pads, but started again once they were well bedded in. And I've tried copper grease on the back of the pads, and new anti squeal shims, and new retaining springs. Calipers were changed for other reasons. Nothing worked.

The noise is the pads rubbing very lightly on the discs, but I think it's more complicated than that. I recently did a thorough check, and realised that there is a wear lip on the rim, and near the hub on both sides of the disc. The brake pads therefore run in a sort of channel and when the pads retract the edges still rub on the ridges. I filed a large chamfer on the edges of the pads, and the noise stopped, until the pads wore down again, which happened somewhere in Norway!

I've bought new discs and pads from BW, but haven't fitted them yet. I'll report back when they're fitted.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

scaltura

Post by scaltura »

sounds like a build up of crud on the carriers
remove pads, clean the carriers with wire brush and big bit of elbow also inside of caliper and the pack of pads.
buy ceramic brake grease apply to metal to metal contact areas and piston pad etc
scrub of the pad glaze with a bit of 80 grit and reassemble :ok