Speedo cable replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Speedo cable replacement

Post by CJH »

johninleeds wrote:I'm guessing if I replace the cable I'll be stuck with doing km -> m conversions in my head!

Haha - a useful side effect. Rest assured - changing the speedo cable won't change that handy relationship. All it does is deliver wheel rotations to the speedo head - there's no gearing inside the speedo cable. If your speedo needle bounces due to the inner cable binding against the outer sheath, then a new cable will fix it without changing anything else.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to say a big thank you to ItchyFeet as this is a brilliant post. The pictures are really helpful.

My speedo was all over the place and just stopped last week just before my MOT was due!

I decided to replace the speedo and the hub grease cap as the hole looked very worn.

It took me 3 hours to do but thats mainly because i kept popping back indoors to read this post and look at the pictures for each stage.

I now have a very smooth speedo. Thanks ItchyFeet
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

chriscburgess wrote:I know this is an old post but I just wanted to say a big thank you to ItchyFeet as this is a brilliant post. The pictures are really helpful.

My speedo was all over the place and just stopped last week just before my MOT was due!

I decided to replace the speedo and the hub grease cap as the hole looked very worn.

It took me 3 hours to do but thats mainly because i kept popping back indoors to read this post and look at the pictures for each stage.

Thanks, makes it worth while when others find it helpful :ok

I only hope you didn't oil the cable as I think it may contribute to bounce later, really need to grease the cable ( just edited that bit above ^^^)
I got bounce a while after fitting this cable, It's a long thread so I skipped to the important bit
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 0#p8227501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

itchyfeet wrote:
chriscburgess wrote:I know this is an old post but I just wanted to say a big thank you to ItchyFeet as this is a brilliant post. The pictures are really helpful.

Thanks, makes it worth while when others find it helpful :ok

I only hope you didn't oil the cable as I think it may contribute to bounce later, really need to grease the cable ( just edited that bit above ^^^)
I got bounce a while after fitting this cable, It's a long thread so I skipped to the important bit
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 0#p8227501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bugger! I oiled it as that is what a lot of the posts said. Oh well, ill just have to wait and see............
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

Thanks Itchyfeet, followed your pictorial guide and got mine changed today, didn't oil mine though just plenty of grease in the hub. Much appreciated for pictures as they paint a better overall picture. :ok
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)

stum1ller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by stum1ller »

Thanks for the useful guidance. I've managed to replace the run the new cable and had no issues at the hub end. I can't for the life of me get the cable to clip into the clock. It doesn't seem to want to go far enough on so that it can click. I've tried from a few different angles and used a fair bit of force. I don't want to push too hard and risk breaking it. The clip on the new cable (from Just Kampers) looks identical to the old cable.

Has anyone experienced this and have any tips?

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

Best way I done it was to remove the screws holding the instrument panel down and fit the speedo cable on first before anything else that way you get more access instead of it being bolted in and trying to get your hand in enough to push it on.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

stum1ller wrote:Thanks for the useful guidance. I've managed to replace the run the new cable and had no issues at the hub end. I can't for the life of me get the cable to clip into the clock. It doesn't seem to want to go far enough on so that it can click. I've tried from a few different angles and used a fair bit of force. I don't want to push too hard and risk breaking it. The clip on the new cable (from Just Kampers) looks identical to the old cable.

Has anyone experienced this and have any tips?
Just krappers are not known for the best quality items.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Oak
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Oak »

I've had the same issue. Fitted it looks right but won't go in. The metal cable is a different shape to the hole on the Speedo, the clip fitting is right but the cable inside isn't. I did manage to modify it with a Dremel but it came out when doing another job in the area and won't go in now. I thought it was only a choice of screw in or clip 🤷

steveo9007
Trader

Post by steveo9007 »

Oak wrote: 11 May 2021, 20:12 I've had the same issue. Fitted it looks right but won't go in. The metal cable is a different shape to the hole on the Speedo, the clip fitting is right but the cable inside isn't. I did manage to modify it with a Dremel but it came out when doing another job in the area and won't go in now. I thought it was only a choice of screw in or clip 🤷

Correct only clip in for late, screw in for early they actual cable inside the sheath is a square one in both perhaps the end of yours is damaged or the back of the speedo is damaged. ??

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It may help to have someone spin the wheel end slowly with their fingers as you insert it to enable it to locate. Also if the wheel end isn't free the inner cannot align itself easily. It might be catching due to you having created a sharp edge.
Shouldn't have had to modify the cable end though.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

shrig1969
80-90 Mem No: 11920

Post by shrig1969 »

Thank you for this  :ok
Changed mine at the weekend and thought I knew best? wrong....for some reason I had it in my head that the hub had to be removed to gain access through the wheel. Thankfully saw this post for the instruction on getting the cable through. Soooo simple.
I worked from the dash end down, following the route of the old cable. This in turn helped when trying to pull the old one out of the hub, no way was I pulling it out laying close up to the wheel. I seemed to get better purchase dragging the old cable underneath to the drivers side where I could sit in a "tug of war" position and lean back.
Job done 
I am no mechanic, but I try......
1987 1.9DG Hi top 4 speed manual

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

:ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks