Opinions Requested: Difference between K14 & K24 with JX

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

epowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Opinions Requested: Difference between K14 & K24 with JX

Post by epowell »

I need to buy a new turbo as soon as possible, and I am struggling to make a decision between buying a KKK K14 or a KKK K24. I have a K24 on the van now and it performs fine. The highest altitude I drove it was Brenner Pass 1500m, and still it was OK - no problems. .

But I am told that a K14 performs much much better than a K24 (especially in the mountains). Fine, but the problem is that the K24 is 300euros CHEAPER than the K14! That is a BIG price difference.

I live in Czech and will not be driving in super-high mountains, although some time in the distant future I would love to make a trip to Central Asia or even the Himalaya (but this is maybe just a dream... I am sure that in the Himalaya it would be necessary to have a K14)

So I am just asking for opinions..... what would you guys do? Get the K24 and save 300euro, or spend the cash for the K14? ...and why?

Thank you very much!
Edward

mike9009

Re: Opinions Requested: Difference between K14 & K24 with JX

Post by mike9009 »

I would think the difference between the K14 and K24 turbo is quite different - I used to work for a company manufacturing the turbine wheels for BorgWarner and the size difference between a K14 and K24 turbine wheel is quite substantial (in weight and diameter)

Dependent upon the geometry, the K14 would spin much quicker at lower revs but would probably run at of puff at higher revs. So maybe helping with some lag and easier to climb hills but overall a downgrade.

I am sure there are some experts on here but I would stick with the K24, if that was OEM.

epowell

Re: Opinions Requested: Difference between K14 & K24 with JX

Post by epowell »

mike9009 wrote: Dependent upon the geometry, the K14 would spin much quicker at lower revs but would probably run at of puff at higher revs. So maybe helping with some lag and easier to climb hills but overall a downgrade.

I am sure there are some experts on here but I would stick with the K24, if that was OEM.

No the K14 is what T3's originally came with, not K24s. I am told by experts that the K14 works quicker and also offers the same boost on the highway as a K24. Appearantly with a K24 in the mountains you run the risk of getting stuck in 2nd because the boost doesn't kick in fast enough to allow you to get into 3rd.

That being said, I am leaning towards the K24 because it is 300eur cheaper - both made by KKK original K24 400EUR, K14 700EUR.