Help needed with a new carb!

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

edwyn

Re: Help needed with a new carb!

Post by edwyn »

Bit of a debate on these carburettors from VW Heritage. I thought it was a bit strange that Heritage only show the carb from one side whereas any new carb advertised always has views from all angles. This is a Brosol carb and made in Brazil. I have done a bit of digging and the other side of the carb is interesting because it is a 2e2 type bottom section as used on a Golf 2 and where the waxstat would normally sit is empty.

https://www.paruzzi.com/clientphoto/view/uk/2989.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As well as this carve up, the choke unit on this unit is completely different to the Pierburg one for the T25. The Pierburg one is specifically shaped to allow the throttle arm quadrant to rotate upwards and with this Brosol unit there is a protruding section that will foul the movement of the throttle arm. The choke unit looks similar to those used on some Ford vehicles where the protruding section housed a temperature sensor.

I cannot see the detail, but concern is also on the mechanism for the warm-up phase for the carb . It is all very well having the thing run when the engine is hot but the clever bit on a carburettor is the correct cold start and warming up, that is unless you want to sit there with your foot on the throttle for 10 mins.
I must admit I am not convinced

edwyn

Post by edwyn »

Apologies but one of the photos was missing from the last post

https://www.paruzzi.com/clientphoto/view/uk/2988.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

A nice bit of informative research there Edwyn
Thanks for posting that up
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I wonder if the origional choke mech fits?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Photos are old units and out of date, we knew of the casting error at the very start, chokes have now been modified in manufacture and fit perfectly.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

steve8090 wrote:Photos are old units and out of date, we knew of the casting error at the very start, chokes have now been modified in manufacture and fit perfectly.

Better than reasearch is experience, thanks Steve :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

This is why a forum is better than fast media
Both research and experience are needed in exposing facts

edwyn

Post by edwyn »

Steve seems to suggest that the photos uploaded were of an old design yet they were actually taken from a Netherlands site selling those same units today. Perhaps Steve would upload some photos of the carburettor that he says are an updated version. That would clarify the concerns that the carburettor is very much a compromised solution. I.e just like the Weber - it will fit and will run - but will it operate correctly.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Steve has fitted loads he knows they fit but 'runs correctly' is another question.

Unless you put it on a rolling road with a known good engine and compare a rebuilt Pierburg 2e3 to a copy 2e3 you won't know, chances are these are jetted similar with similar venturi diameters but it may not be exactly the same you are right.

You pay your money and take your choice, time is another factor Bromyard will rebuild for a bit more but you have to wait, I have a spare so I could afford to wait but many people can't.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

If the differences/perceived shortcomings of the Brosol are bothering you, and you would rather pay a bit more for the real thing, there's always the genuine Pierburg still available new from VW Classic Parts, part number 025129015J. It's listed as £392.52 at Heritage, less any discount you might have.
See HERE for a picture.
It's listed as for an auto, but the only difference is a slightly different accelerator pump injection quantity to smooth take-off on the auto, which will work perfectly fine and run beautifully on a manual. I have fitted a couple myself, and it's just been a case of fit and drive away. Starting, choke operation, mixture and running were all perfect with no adjustment needed (as you'd expect).
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

£392.52

jeepers :shock:

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

kevtherev wrote:£392.52

jeepers :shock:

I don't think that the state of £ sterling will help.. :!:

As far as Pierburg vs Brosol........ :roll:

Here is the Brosol as sold for your motor in France..

1900cc ESSENCE 9/1982-7/1992 (DG,SP) 4 cylindres 73/78 ch / 54/57 Kw REFROIDISSEMENT LIQUIDE

Référence 025129015

€ 375.

The US price is about the same in dollar equivalent for both makes, but then there is the tax to pay.. :shock:

All comes from Brazil..

There is Ruddies.de in Berlin, who have all the parts and data necessary for a rebuild..

Here are the jets and settings for your carb, ...I presume they will be about the same for the Brosol..

I hope this will help..

:ok

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Looks like Brosal bought the Pierburg name as it's moulded in.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

edwyn

Post by edwyn »

Sorry Simmo, not quite right. There is also a major difference in the throttle actuator operation for the auto transmission version of the Pierburg carburettor and which provides for higher rpm and retained for longer during the warm-up phase. This is designed to compensate for the drag from the auto transmission. The manual version operates on a step down arrangement in order to make smooth gear changing during the warm-up phases over 10 minutes.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Good info there, thanks. I have noticed some carbs have a gradual curve on the fast idle cam, and some are stepped. Never knew why, so another brain hole plugged!
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran