Front to rear coolant pipes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Post by meggles »

I need to replace my front to rear coolant pipes. (1985 1.9 DG with metal pipes). Just one question: Is it possible to fit without remove fuel tank? I'm just wondering if it is possible or if the tank HAS to come out.
Thanks

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Re: Front to rear coolant pipes

Post by camper »

If its replacement two part stainless steel you can slide it above the tank to fit.The fuel tank can be removed okay as have done this several times on different T25s.There is a bit of a fiddle to get the fuel pipes & gromets to fit back on the tank.I prefer to remove the tank then inspect the tank for rust and to fit the coolent pipes .

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

I fitted mine without removing the tank, & also did the heater pipes at the same time. You just need to be extra careful about the orientation & routing & particlularly keeping the pipes away from the steering.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Just kampers used to stock stainless steel front to back coolent pipes.Carnt see them listed on there site.

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

I managed to do mine without removing the tank, they were JK stainless in two parts (each pipe)
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

camper wrote:Just kampers used to stock stainless steel front to back coolent pipes.Carnt see them listed on there site.
Brickwerks offer stainless replacements for all model years

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/e ... -32mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

meggles

Post by meggles »

Yes, seen that. Thanks anyway. Mine are the 32mm size. Just need to find the best deal.

meggles

Post by meggles »

OK, ordered from Mr Baxter. With a discount! Once I got my head around it all it was easy. Thanks to Michael for his help! :ok

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

I'd be inclined to remove it if you can Keith as it'll make it easier to fit them plus you can inspect the tank and spray a load of waxoyl around there as hopefully you'll never have to remove it again. You can also replace the fuel pipes to the overflow tanks with ease as well.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

meggles

Post by meggles »

Was really hoping to delay removing tank until springtime because I'll be on my back on the drive doing it

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

You might be able to get away without having to disconnect anything on the tank Keith - just remove the straps, undo bots & lower it slightly and rest it.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I ordered 32mm early pipes from Brickwerks and they sent me 38mm late pipes!! Which really p*ss*d me off as I had the van on a ramp in pieces and no parts. The order was correct but warehouse packed wrong size. Luckily JK's had the correct size in stock (and are local'ish) so I dashed down there to save the day. Anyone rambling on...Er, be very careful not to 'pinch' the handbrake fixed front bar, as it can get very tight up front, through the port holes when re-assembling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that you two. I did replace a tank on one of my previous T25's and it was a bloody nightmare with everything being rotten/perished. Don't fancy doing that in winter! Anyway, if needs must! :roll:

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

I did mine last winter, so I know how much you will not be looking forward to doing this.

Many have advised you on different ways to do it. What I will add is that I could not get those pipes over the tank for love nor money..!!
It may be as mine were the late larger diamatered version, and slightly too big - meaning I had to drop the tank.

Having said that, it did look more practical to push them in through from the front if I didn't have a slightly chunkier bumper.
Mine is a chunky plastic one, and the angle meant the pipes would hit the bottom of the van.
Going from rear to front orientation, mine kept hitting the top of the tank, or bottom of the van - one went in, but couldn't get the second through with the first in-situ.

My advice is to try it first, but don't waste hours cursing and getting frustrated.
Lastly, you may also find your old ones are cable tied to the floor of the van above the tank anyway, which may make your decision for you...

The tank isn't that hard to do and when I had mine out I replaced it anyway. It's just messy draining fuel. The hardest bit was making sure I didn't pinch the breather lines when putting it back in.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks Smiffo. Very helpful :ok