Rear Shock Absorbers

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

IanMills
80-90 Mem No: 5164

Rear Shock Absorbers

Post by IanMills »

Morning all, I am after a bit of advice as I am scratching my head trying to think of a solution.
I am in the process of replacing the shock absorbers on the van, all has gone well until the last one, which is rear mounted. How easy can it be !

It would appear that the metal sleeve / bush of the top mount of the shock absorber has corroded on to the bolt which passes through that top mount.
Although the bolt turns it does not unscrew, now I have double checked and checked again on the captured nut which the bolt screws into, this is not turning. It would appear that the bush which has corroded onto the bolt has prevented the bolt from unscrewing resulting in the thread of that captive nut being stripped. But I still can not withdraw the bolt to remove the shock absorber and therefore can not address the stripped thread or replace the defective shock absorber.

Has this happened to anyone else, if so how did you resolve the issue ? I need to remove the bolt but can not get anything in to cut it so I can at least get the shock absorber out of the way.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.
Thanks
Ian
Have a nice day !

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Rear Shock Absorbers

Post by bigherb »

It does happen.
I cut the ring that is around the bush you can the bend the ring open to get the shocker off, then cut through the bolt one at the head then one half way down so you can unscrew the stub.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow