Petrol & diesel oil, or diesel specific

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Petrol & diesel oil, or diesel specific

Post by Negativegravity »

Hi guys, planning on doing this years oils change tomorrow and I'm struggling to find the diesel specific oil I normally use. Normally I use halfords 10w40 semi synthetic diesel specific, for my 1.6.

However, I can't seem to find it online anymore? There's the option of 10w40 that works for both petrol and diesel but someone advised against this type a while ago on here, suggesting there weren't the additives required.

Even the eurocarparts oils listed suggest use in both petrol as diesel. Any advice?

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

Re: Petrol & diesel oil, or diesel specific

Post by quattrodave »

Just bought some myself today from Euro car parts, 15w40 diesel mineral oil. It seems to meet all the VW specs as well.
Cost £15 with discount code MOT25, they also do Mann oil filters for £3.70 with that code.
I'm down in South Shields BTW, 1990 1.6TD multivan, just picked it up the other week and doing major service this weekend (oil change, cam belt, pump timing etc), what you driving?

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

Ah nice. Saw a pretty sweet hightop this morning near the tunnel. Angel eye headlights and retro black reg plate. Looked pretty tidy. I've got a 1.6 non turbo and feeling the lack of speed. One day I might upgrade the engine, but this lump seems pretty reliable at the moment! Ended up paying double what you paid at halfords for some Mobil detail specific oil. Doh! Do you have the link to the eurocarparts oil on their site?

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

Post by quattrodave »

Yeah I nearly bought the Mobil from Halfords as well !
Here's the link
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;