1.9 Dg - Solex Carb: Fuel / Carburettor Issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

glasshopper
80-90 Mem No: 9334

1.9 Dg - Solex Carb: Fuel / Carburettor Issues

Post by glasshopper »

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone can help with issues I am having with fuel pumps and lumpy running with flat spots.

The history is as follows - I had issues in 2012 with what seemed to be fuel supply so I invested in a carb rebuild kit and a new fuel tank - this was fitted by a trusted mechanic and all seemed okay.

This was all fine until April 2015 when I needed a new fuel pump, push rod, gaskets and flange. I got the cheap fuel pump from Just Kampers.
This ran fine until the fuel pump let me down in October 2015 - I ordered and fitted a new cheap fuel pump and it seemed to be fine.

The fuel pump then let me down again in June this year - unbelievable - so I ordered a better fuel pump from Brickwerks and a new push rod, the old pushrod was slightly worn from 2015 - to 2016??? However - after fitting the van was running pretty badly so I called in some professional help, he gave the van new plugs, new fuel filters, new air filter, engine flush and oil change as well as resetting the timing. I got from Brighton to Cornwall and back but the van still had issues - flat spots on acceleration, and stalling when cold.

Then the van let me down again completely, I investigated the fuel pump and the push rod was not looking great - it had mushroomed over!
I have gone back to a new spare cheap fuel pump, new pushrod, new gaskets, new spacer but am still not up and running.
The distributor cap does not look great and I have noted some old looking fuel pipe and vacuum hoses which I am going to replace.

I can pump fuel with the pump by hand so the pump must be fine, the previous pushrod wear tells me that this bit of the system must be working but is this amount of pushrod wear normal?
Why does my fuel seem to drain away when the van is left standing, I can see this happening in the fuel filter between the pump and carb - is this normal?
Is it worth cleaning the carb jets again?
Does anyone have any other ideas?
What else would stop fuel pumps from being effective - air in the system or a blocked system?

Apologies for the essay, I will appreciate any advice or pointers to helping me get back on the road again..
Thanks for looking
T25 1984 Petrol 1.9 DG - Pierburg 2E3

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: 1.9 Dg - Solex Carb: Fuel / Carburettor Issues

Post by a1winchester »

I would replace all those dodgy looking vac and fuel hoses including new hose clips where necessary.
Cost is pence and rules out some potential issues.
I had the fuel drain down issue, which was rectified with new fuel hose at the fuel pump.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

glasshopper

Post by glasshopper »

Hey A1.

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered some vacuum hose, distributer cap and a rotor arm and will also order some new fuel hose from Brickwerks.
I am wondering if having 2 x fuel filters installed could be part of my issue and contributing to this sluggish running.
I am also wondering if getting the Brickwerks top quality fuel pump will 100% resolve supply issues so that if my problems continue the carb would be the next most obvious cuplrit!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Fit an electric pump (about £30) and be done with it. At least it'll prime the line every time - mechanical ones take ages. I had your issues for a couple of years. I don't get them now.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

glasshopper wrote:Hey A1.

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered some vacuum hose, distributer cap and a rotor arm and will also order some new fuel hose from Brickwerks.
I am wondering if having 2 x fuel filters installed could be part of my issue and contributing to this sluggish running.
I am also wondering if getting the Brickwerks top quality fuel pump will 100% resolve supply issues so that if my problems continue the carb would be the next most obvious cuplrit!
I fitted the brickwerks budget fuel pump. So far so good! As for the 2 filters, just replace 1 with a plain tube and see if there's any improvement.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

You have replaced ALL the gaskets under the pump?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Post by Bubble Meister »

Are all the gaskets under the pump crucial? All I can see is that they are there to prevent oil escaping?
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

kevtherev wrote:You have replaced ALL the gaskets under the pump?
The pump I got from Brickwerks comes with the gaskets anyway - so no reason not to replace them.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Bubble Meister wrote:Are all the gaskets under the pump crucial? All I can see is that they are there to prevent oil escaping?
Also there to position the height of the pushrod.
Too close and the rod wears prematurely

glasshopper

Post by glasshopper »

Hi All.

Thanks for all your advice - sorry for not replying sooner but I was waiting on supplies and having the time to have a look at this issue.

I have replaced a lot of the vacuum hoses and removed the fuel filter between the pump and the carb.
I have also cleaned the old distributor contacts and fitted a new rotor arm.
I still have one dodgy bit of fuel pipe that needs replacing which is the flexible section entering the engine bay - I need to lay my hands on a bit more pipe to do this.

The fuel pump is fitted with a gasket under the push rod guide and a gasket under the pump itself. I have not checked how much of the push rod is actually coming into contact with the pump but I am guessing enough due to previous pushrod wear. I have not packed the fuel pump with grease as I have seen in some other posts online - is this advisable?

I charged the battery and tested things again this morning but the engine is still turning over and not firing. My HT leads look in reasonable condition and I will do a spark test hopefully tomorrow morning before work with a friend who is staying who has just turned up in a 1969 Beetle and has reasonable mechanical knowledge. He lives in Budapest so I kind of trust him.

I still believe this issue is fuel starvation!

I think I saw a post by CovKid on the forum about how to test a pump in situ whereby you disconnect the HT lead from the coil and then disconnect the fuel pump from the carb and insert it into a jar, then turn over the engine and see how much fuel appears. I am also going to attempt to do this. Thanks for the advice about the electric fuel pump - I am considering this option but only if it can be fitted correctly with a kill switch in case of collision or some other mishap.

I will post an update here. How can you test the Vacuum Unit??? on the side of the distributor?

a1winchester

Post by a1winchester »

I packed both the mechanical pump and the pedestal with grease. It makes sense to do so.
Have you tried a snort of easy start up the air inlet (into the air filter)? That got my engine started when the old pump was playing up. Once the engine fired up, the pump was able to feed enough fuel into the carb.

glasshopper

Post by glasshopper »

Quick update to my situation.
I have replaced most of the fuel lines in my vehicle now, new stainless clips, which needed doing - but I still had the issue of non-starting.
So I bit the bullet and bought a top quality Pierburg pump from Brickwerks.
This has got the van going and got me to an MOT station in the nick of time - however the issue is still there.

So I took it to another mechanic for a professional opinion, on investigation the carb can be rocked on the gasket that meets the manifold, it is not clamped down securely. I have ordered a new manifold to carb gasket and I am hoping once fitted correctlly this is going to solve the issue.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Don't forget to fit the paper gaskets either side of the spacer under the carb

glasshopper

Post by glasshopper »

Thanks will do...