1.9 Dg - Solex Carb: Fuel / Carburettor Issues

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: 1.9 Dg - Solex Carb: Fuel / Carburettor Issues

Post by ajsimmo »

But hang on....the title says Solex carb (on a DG? That's a DF carb/manifold setup), so the carb should rock a little as it sits on a flexible rubber base, not gaskets and a spacer. Seen a couple where folk have used sealant on the rubber base which blocks the idle air channel in the base of the carb.
Or is it actually a Pierburg?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

glasshopper
80-90 Mem No: 9334

Post by glasshopper »

Hi All.
Thanks for your help regarding these issues.

I was getting so fed up with the poor running of my vehicle that in the end I invested in a reconditioned Pierburg 2E3 carburettor, manifold and pancake manifold from Roger at Bromyard VW.
The quality of the workmanship is great and after a few initial setup issues I am now up and running with what feels like a lot more engine power.

However my van does seem a little thirstier - is this usual or do I need to tweak the setup. Can anyone give an average MPG for a 1.9 DG running a Pierburg 2E3?

Thanks. Nik
T25 1984 Petrol 1.9 DG - Pierburg 2E3

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Da dan »

I'm now running a Webber and it needs a "fine tune" but as said earlier, change to electric pump and solved all of my probs. Thought it was carb, air in fuel etc but turned out £35 electric pump sorted it. Never been happier. It does drink at fuel 19-25mpg but decided to get carb sorted and go lpg soon and see if a good set up changes much? I found the mechanical pump works well when working but electric works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

glasshopper wrote:Hi All.
Thanks for your help regarding these issues.

I was getting so fed up with the poor running of my vehicle that in the end I invested in a reconditioned Pierburg 2E3 carburettor, manifold and pancake manifold from Roger at Bromyard VW.
The quality of the workmanship is great and after a few initial setup issues I am now up and running with what feels like a lot more engine power.

However my van does seem a little thirstier - is this usual or do I need to tweak the setup. Can anyone give an average MPG for a 1.9 DG running a Pierburg 2E3?

Thanks. Nik

Around 18 to 24 mpg
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

glasshopper
80-90 Mem No: 9334

Post by glasshopper »

Thanks for your responses - guess I am not doing badly then at around 22-24mpg.
All the best.
T25 1984 Petrol 1.9 DG - Pierburg 2E3