Help! Broken down and packed up to go on holiday

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Sagemagoo
80-90 Mem No: 8215

Help! Broken down and packed up to go on holiday

Post by Sagemagoo »

VW T3 1.6TD Gipsy. Family in and gone 200 yards when there was a loud banging consistent with wheel speed but only on deceleration. Engine sounds good whilst stationary, no noise when accelerating only when slowing down whether I use the brakes or not. Real significant clunk. I've had the timing belt done and a temporary fix on a sticking brake calipers a couple of days ago but don't know if related. I'm thinking CV joint but not sure how to check.

Any ideas anyone? I have a very upset child looking forward to her holiday...

Thanks, Gordon
1985 1.6TD Gipsy
1966 MGB
2005 1.9TD Convertible Beetle

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Help! Broken down and packed up to go on holiday

Post by CovKid »

Yep, CV joint. Crawl under with a torch and check state of bolts at wheel end of driveshaft (ie inside trailing arm). Ten to one theres only a few bolts (if not one bolt) holding it on.

They'll have been working loose for a while. If some are sheared off. its possible (once driveshaft is off) to tap those little bolt stubs round and out with a punch or at least a long screwdriver. I think most of us have been there until we stopped using allen head bolts and fitted decent ones. If they come out and you can pick up or scrounge some more bolts, you can fix it in an hour or so.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Sagemagoo
80-90 Mem No: 8215

Re: Help! Broken down and packed up to go on holiday

Post by Sagemagoo »

Cheers, best I get it on the ramp in the morning!
1985 1.6TD Gipsy
1966 MGB
2005 1.9TD Convertible Beetle