Holey Trailing Arm

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

OddJobBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Holey Trailing Arm

Post by OddJobBob »

Just got back from hols in Cornwall and discovered this. :oops:

There is a hole both sides of the trailing arm. Quite surprised and thankful that it didn't fall apart on the 500+ mile journey. Its either over engineered or I got lucky.

Only decision to make now is whether to buy a used part or wait it out till Brickwerks receives their stock of new parts.

Rob
1986 T25 Autosleeper conversion. 1.9 DG. Gloucestershire.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Re: Holey Trailing Arm

Post by NicBeeee »

I would be tempted to buy second hand, still some good ones around for around 100 - 200, prior to fitting you can give it a good refurb, vatcan any rusty bits, new bushes, coat of decent paint. Not sure how much new is but I bet it isnt cheap, you may even be able to recoup some monies by re selling yours as a repair job.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

If you can hold on that would be my preference 220 for new or 150 + for one you take a chance on.
1y Tin top rust collector.

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP »

I renovated one that was even worse than that about a month ago. I started out by sandblasting it and then thoroughly checking the integrity of the rest of the arm. Since there was next to no corrosion anywhere else, I made up a series of shaped 3mm plate pieces for the damaged area - these were then welded in place and the arm then got a coat of zinc primer followed by two coats of Hammerite. The end result should out last the rest of the vehicle!

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

The picture appears to show that the rust encroaches into the bearing area (ie. where it swivels), which is going to be pretty tricky to repair properly. I would say that one's shot.
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

pieman1
80-90 Mem No: 8418

Post by pieman1 »

Give nw_vw_t25 a ring see if he,s got some in 07968367046

Paddy_SP

Post by Paddy_SP »

tforturton wrote:The picture appears to show that the rust encroaches into the bearing area (ie. where it swivels), which is going to be pretty tricky to repair properly. I would say that one's shot.

The bearing tube on mine was, as you say, shot; I therefore machined up a new one, which didn't take long.