daunted newbie - next move? 1.9 1983 petrol waterboxer

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bensid
80-90 Mem No: 0

daunted newbie - next move? 1.9 1983 petrol waterboxer

Post by bensid »

Hi all,
I've just purchased a 1983 T25 Devon Moonraker- water cooled, 1.9L. Picked her up yesterday from Nottingham way, down to that there London. I have to say that my initial excitement has turned to mild terror.

(Stupidly) i didn't see the camper before i purchased, i just threw caution to the wind. On the way down the overheating light lit up a few times, the engine cut out a few times, a couple of cupboard doors fell off. I knew it needed some TLC but now i'm wondering if i've bitten off more than i can chew. Oh and if the front windows are open, it is very fumey (i know the fuel tank is under the front seats BUT it's bad). And there was a fairly hefty oil spill.

Anyway, not sure what i'm looking for here but, well, what do you think? Any words of advice?
Last edited by bensid on 05 Sep 2016, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Re: T25 daunted newbie

Post by Ant-t »

Welcome to the forum and t25s, sounds like you're going to be busy, probably the best bet is to take an issue at a time and work through a logical fault finding process. There is a link to the wiki above where you can find lots of useful information also search for threads on known issues will be helpful for you. These are old buses now so they need tlc, handy if you can do work yourself on it, good luck :D
1983 DG Kamper 2

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Oh dear.Hope you didn't pay a lot for it fella.Not a good idea buying a vehicle unseen as you have found out.Pity you didnt ask on here if someone Nottingham based could of had a look at it for you.What condition is the body in.? Good luck with it.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

If you purchased it from ebay and it was not as described I believe you have rights

fumes from tank are common, but you need to sort that urgently, don't fill it right up until its been looked at.

Water leaks ars common too so when the light comes it it means STOP and investigate, top up, if you keep driving it you are the one who will be causing damage.

oil leaks again common, get under clean it up and look for where it reappears from.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Kieran1984

Post by Kieran1984 »

When I bought my t25 the first problem I had was when I went to the garage filled it up and then got wet feet :oops: turns out it was a problem between the filler neck and the tank. Quite a cheap fix. As for the water leak sorry can't help as I have a air cooled model. Good luck tho

zenecho
80-90 Mem No: 13747

Post by zenecho »

When I got my T25 (over 10 years ago) I filled it up and it poured petrol all over the place. The petrol tank has a large grove down the top which collects mud and water and rots out. A new tank was not that expensive but is a bit of a pain to re-fit, as there are lots of breather pipes on top of the tank, that you cant really get to!

Dont panic, it may not be as bad as you first think
1981 2ltr Petrol air cooled T25 high top Talula - Proud owner since 2004

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Blimey, where to start?

Me, I'd look at the overheating problems first. Could be something easy, but, these are known for overheating issues if not well maintained. Read through the Wiki to see what to check and look for. As for your oil leak, look at the underside of the engine and wipe off the leaked oil and try to see where it's coming from, loose oil filter perhaps, though that's too fanciful really but you never know. If the engine had really overheated to the point it's done serious damage, then that's game over on that and you'll be looking at a replacement now

As for your full tank, that too is a must fix, sooner than later, issue. Check the visible bits, like the rubber connector on the filler neck where it feeds to the tank. I've said this before, but a word to the wise when buying one of these, ask the vendor to drive you to the nearest garage, before you part with your money, and have he or she fill it up to the brim, you pay for the fuel of course but you'd spend that money sooner or later anyway. If you immediately smell petrol or see it on the floor, that's when you either walk away or negotiate for a new tank and fittings etc. And if the vendor doesn't want to do this beforehand, then he or she knows full well that there is an issue. If they are lying about that, then there are likely other problems with your 'it's never let me down' purchase.

Anyway, welcome in and I really hope that you can overcome the issues without having to spend a lot of money on it before you can use it.

:ok

stupot73

Post by stupot73 »

Hi bensid,

First, congratulations on your purchase.

Second, you will not regret it.

Hopefully my brief and similar synopsis might help you feel a bit more confident:

I also bought a van off eBay without viewing first. I basically bought the cheapest one I could find that had an MOT. I turned up with cash and handed it over.

When I saw it I realised it was rather more ropey than anticipated, and when I got home I sat and looked at - well - the mess on my hands. I too felt a bit overwhelmed.

INTERIOR ADVICE:
Thirty years worth of grime and wear adds up even if you look after the van. I started dismantling the interior with a plan to 'refurb' everything but to be frank it was all fit for the skip. I eventually gutted the interior, cleaned and painted it, replaced the floor, bed, cupboards, curtains. I am so pleased I did, there were all sorts of grubby little bits and bobs lingering around behind cupboards and so on. The only things I have not replaced are the bits from the drivers seat forwards. Everything else back from there is new or (in the case of the pop top) refurbished. It's hard work but it's worth it.

MECHANICAL ADVICE:
I don't really know one end of the spanner from the other, but the advice from the great and the good here on Club 80 90 is invaluable. You can usually narrow down any problems you might be having and either try and fix yourself of at least go armed with some background knowledge to your local mechanic. Find yourself a local VW mechanic based upon recommendations.

EXTERIOR ADVICE:
I've had welding done, filled some holes myself, painted the outside with Rustoleum and more recently used car spray paint. Yes she's a bit ropey but we love her.

FUEL TANK:
Do your research on here, I bought a new tank, painted it about 4 or 5 times, and then got someone who knows what they are doing to fit it. I very carefully and proudly filled up the other day and there were no spills :-)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Stuart / Norfolk / 1983 Air Cooled 2.0 Litre (Gutted Autohomes Kamper)

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

What was the name of the seller on ebay ?
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Bensid did not say the seller ripped him off, he has said he did not view the van before buying . ebay is an auction , some you win some you lose.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

bensid

Post by bensid »

Thanks ever so much one and all for your words of advise, they are kindly received. I didn't view the van before, so i guess it's largely my fault that i'm left with a problematic van. Perhaps the seller could have been a little straighter though.

Kieran as you mentioned below, i did fill her right up and found petrol pouring all over the place. I was baffled. I'm excited to be part of this T25 gang but this one might be beyond me and may have to be sold on... After it goes to Suffolk this weekend that is. Wish me luck, it's had a service today so hopefully i'll make it there and back with a fun weekend in between.

ps- how much should a service be?

zenecho
80-90 Mem No: 13747

Post by zenecho »

Shoot me down in flames - probably not the best wording :D - but, if you have a leaking petrol tank, only filling it half way so it does not pour all over the floor when you fill up, does not mean that your petrol tank is not leaking and not still dangerous. If you can smell fumes with the windows open because its sloshing around in there. When you break and turn corners its probably coming out. Surely its better to get that fixed rather than get it serviced? Seriously I may be speaking out of turn, but engine over heats - no one dies. Cupboard door falls off - no ones dies, engine stalls - no ones dies - Campervan catches fire! - thats another story
1981 2ltr Petrol air cooled T25 high top Talula - Proud owner since 2004

Kieran1984

Post by Kieran1984 »

Fingers crossed you might end up making it there & back. I bet you fall in love with it too! It might not end up being a problematic van you might just have teething problems lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MollyMole

Post by MollyMole »

Hello!

I'm in a very similar position so you're not alone! (And I'll jump on the back of getting advice)
I bought an '84 1.9 petrol on Sunday after viewing with very naïve eyes. I didn't take the van for a drive and the only thing similar I have ever driven is a brief round the block trip in my Dad's old 2cv - clearly only similar in age and classic status. On the trip back round the m25 from north east to south west London I noticed a hot smell from the brakes, and a kind parking neighbour when I stopped advised me that it was probably dirty brakes from standing in a yard for a few months that had stuck and were now rubbing! - does that sound likely to anyone? Is there a quick fix to get it going enough to take to a mechanic that knows what they're doing?

I'm only young, in my early 20s, and had the exact same panic on getting home. Having spent some time in the stationary van my faith is slowly being restored and the love for it is overcoming the regret (and I haven't even sorted the brake problem yet!) This hasn't really been any advice I know but take reassurance that you're not the only idiot that falls for the purchase with very little knowledge and I truly hope it will work out absolutely fine for the both of us! Keep me updated on your progress as I'm sure our vans could become great friends!

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

MollyMole wrote:Hello!

advised me that it was probably dirty brakes from standing in a yard for a few months that had stuck and were now rubbing! - does that sound likely to anyone? Is there a quick fix to get it going enough to take to a mechanic that knows what they're doing?

Seized brakes
Caused by corrosion under the seal in the calliper bore.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water, it should be completley changed every two years
Unseizing the brakes.
Remove the wheel
go through the brake pad change sequence. (haynes manual)
when the pads are removed you can push the pistons back into the calliper, then use the brake pedal to push them out a bit, then repeat...in out in out

once freed they will be ok until they get hot again.

Fixing them permanently takes about an hour each side and is very easy to do, using one spanner, and costs nothing.
But as you're dependant on a garage it will be quite expensive.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)