Thermostat question 1.6td jx

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Laws1974
80-90 Mem No: 0

Thermostat question 1.6td jx

Post by Laws1974 »

Thinking of fitting a 80 degree thermostat instead of an 87 I have fitted is it worth it?
And has anyone done this! I have found a 75° thermostat but I think this might be to low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Re: Thermostat question 1.6td jx

Post by Louey »

Why change from the original design?
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Thermostat question 1.6td jx

Post by California Dreamin »

Ultimately a lower opening temperature thermostat doesn't give the cooling system any better cooling capacity, rather, the engine will run somewhat cooler on those shorter journey's because the main body of coolant is being introduced earlier.
When you 'presumably' want it to count (the engine coolant and oil both fully hot) the lower opening temperature won't make any difference at all. Under these conditions 'both' thermostats would be fully and continuously open anyway.
This is a CI (compression ignition) engine that relies on heat for combustion, fitting a lower temperature thermostat will likely create a 'longer' warm up period and lower fuel consumption with increased emissions during this extended period. Engines run best at between 90 - 95C and this is the normal running temperature, well above the thermostats opening temp. If you want to control the upper temp of your engine then you should be looking at the thermo-switch operating the electric fan, it is this switch that regulates the 'upper escalon's of engine heat.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV