The aftermarket steering wheel dilemma

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

The aftermarket steering wheel dilemma

Post by poshbuggers »

I'm running with a non standard steering wheel on the Syncro - currently a lovely thick rimmed leather Delta 4x4 one from the late 80's on a Momo Golf Mk1/2/Beetle small splined boss.

It's not ideal as it's too small (seller promised it was a 38cm , it's actually a 36cm!) and the boss doesn't tighten down correctly allowing play up and down at the top of the column. I'm aware this is a common issue but haven't seen a decent fix for it.

I don't like the stock bus wheels because they are ugly, uncomfortable and with higher seats sit on my legs.

Has anyone managed to sole the column issue properly with a spacer/collar setup?

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: The aftermarket steering wheel dilemma

Post by silverbullet »

Sounds like the boss needs machining Paul. Let's see the puppy.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I had an early MKII Scirocco steering wheel on mine for a while. It fitted straight onto the OE boss and just required a simple mod to get the indicator cancel mech to work. Looked fine and had a VW badge of course. It did hide the top part of the dash binnacle from normal view though, but any smaller wheel is going to do that.

I note that Mick, ("VW-NW" I think) is selling (in the "for sale" section), a Velle wheel, (nice n cheap too - NOT !!) :wink: :lol:
iirc they are a bit smaller than standard and are nicely padded. I had one on our "temporary" van. I sold it with the van (by mistake :roll: ).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

silverbullet wrote:Sounds like the boss needs machining Paul. Let's see the puppy.

I'll remove it and get some pics. This has to be a common problem as it's the only boss that fits our vans, most of the cheaper ones aren't of merchantable quality.

I can't believe nobody has come up with a solution after all these years.

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Paul.Have you considered using a wheel off a power steering model.
They are fatter and smaller than the original and the caravelle wheel.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

R0B wrote:Paul.Have you considered using a wheel off a power steering model.
They are fatter and smaller than the original and the caravelle wheel.

I know that, but they are overpriced, ugly and invariably the rim twists on them. I had one on my last Syncro. It was nice to have the right sized wheel (mine has PAS) but it wasn't attractive at all.

Seems a shame when there are so many decent aftermarket wheels around that all anyone can promote is ancient stock parts.

)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Ha ha.Never thought of mine as ugly.I will from now on every time i get in the velle.:smile:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

R0B wrote:Ha ha.Never thought of mine as ugly.I will from now on every time I get in the velle.:smile:

Ugly is probably a bit harsh. But they are functional and characterless like most VW steering wheels of the time.

)

poshbuggers

Post by poshbuggers »

I've happened across a different boss, listed specifically for the Transporter and LT >92, rather than for the Golf/Scirocco/Beetle like Momo.

It's a well known german manufacturer and as it's on the books of one of our suppliers anyway I have ordered one.

Let's hope it addresses the issue.

)