Coolant hose/sytem questions/overhaul steps

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Coolant hose/sytem questions/overhaul steps

Post by Smiffo »

Afternoon.

Well, the inevitable happened.
Some of the coolant hoses crumbled when trying to remove them - some others are already split on the ends and have been `shuffled down` a bit to accommodate the damage - and I have therefore decided to give the coolant system a bit of an overhaul.
( This should at the very least stop the persistent slow loss of coolant that I get over time. )

What started as a smallish task has started uncovering more and more that I `should` address before these issues force me to do them.

Irrespective of the urgency of the need to do them immediately, I have decided that now I have the coolant drained and have identified some hoses that need changing, I am going to give it an entire going over.

A few questions need answering before I move on.

1. The long pipes from radiator to rear are metal with a plastic coating. The metal is badly corroded and broken off in places on the ends. Are they all the same design on late style cooling systems? ( And once this corrosion sets in, is it best to bite the bullet and renew now? )

2. Anything else I `should` do or is `best` to do while the coolant is drained?

3. I'm struggling to find some of the hoses or descriptions - even on Brickwerks - so is there a diagram anywhere online that lists descriptions and part number of all the hoses on the late style cooling system?

4. Are there any promotions running at the moment for reputable stores..!!?? ( This will get expensive, but I have concluded I would rather be on top of issues, rather than fire-fighting them as they arise. )

Thanks in advance all.
Last edited by Smiffo on 14 Feb 2016, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Coolant hose/sytem questions

Post by CJH »

Partsbase.org and VAGCAT have exploded diagrams and part numbers (I think VAGCAT needs a free signup).

I'm not sure about the hoses on your 1989 (late) cooling system, but certainly some of the ones on my 1983 (early) system are getting hard to find. I tend to to keep an eye open for second hand ads and have built up a collection of spares.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

CJH wrote:Partsbase.org and VAGCAT have exploded diagrams and part numbers (I think VAGCAT needs a free signup).

I'm not sure about the hoses on your 1989 (late) cooling system, but certainly some of the ones on my 1983 (early) system are getting hard to find. I tend to to keep an eye open for second hand ads and have built up a collection of spares.

Thanks CJH.

I think I have identified all I need/want, except for one - the short hose that connects the distributor part to the metal feed pipe that goes to the radiator. Is that one of the `hard to find` hoses?
I ask because it is not really in need of a change, but as a few others are, I imagined that one being cheap to renew. ( Thought I may as well now due to replacing metal pipe it joins to. )
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Scrub that last question - found it..!! :ok
'89 1.9 DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

late van has plastic pipes with metal inserts front to back, the inserts rust and collapse, but they are not metal the whole length under the plastic, you may find second hand plastic other wise stainless steel replacements are available from Brickwerks and other places, these are in two parts to make fitting easier.

Draining , refilling and Bleeding the system isn't so hard, I had to do it many times before I was leak free so don't feel you have to do everything now.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

itchyfeet wrote:late van has plastic pipes with metal inserts front to back, the inserts rust and collapse, but they are not metal the whole length under the plastic, you may find second hand plastic other wise stainless steel replacements are available from Brickwerks and other places, these are in two parts to make fitting easier.

Draining , refilling and Bleeding the system isn't so hard, I had to do it many times before I was leak free so don't feel you have to do everything now.

Cheers Itchy.
Well, I have some bits on order now. A few brittle hoses being replaced with nice new ones, and those stainless pipes are on the way..!!

If I have it all drained, I thought I may as well do it justice and work my way through the bits that were naff.
'89 1.9 DG

Smiffo

Long plastic coolant hose question.

Post by Smiffo »

Spent an hour or so today - yes that is an understatement - removing the long plastic coolant hoses that run to the radiator.

I am wondering whether there should be some brackets or clips that hold them in place to the underside of the van?
The only fastening aspect on mine was a load of cable ties ( some above the fuel tank which made it really hard work today. )

I watched a YouTube clip that showed an '83 van that seemed to have some brackets, but I am unsure if these were present on post 85/86 coolant systems or not.

Anyone else out there know the answer to this. I doubt very much that my van rolled out of a German factory with cable ties holding those coolant pipes in place.!!

Here is the clip I am referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMnLFA-USQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skip to 1:45 to specifically see the brackets.
Last edited by Smiffo on 11 Feb 2016, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
'89 1.9 DG

itchyfeet

Re: Long plastic coolant hose question.

Post by itchyfeet »

origionaly wire clips which fix into holes in the body, may have a pic :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

itchyfeet wrote:origionaly wire clips which fix into holes in the body, may have a pic :D

Go on Itchy - post it..!! hahaha
'89 1.9 DG

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

can't be arsed looking through 40,000 photos, quicker to take new
Nothing wrong with cable ties IMO.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Top man - thanks :D

Cable ties it is.
Those pics look like radiator end and mid-point.
I take it there are none near the gearbox end of them then?
'89 1.9 DG

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

first pic is gearbox end, cross member by trailing arms looking towards back of vehicle, you can just see it bottom of the pic below which is looking the other way.
2nd pic front by rad rubber hoses, probably one above tank also but never dropped it.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Ah perfect.
I don't intend dropping my fuel tank either - I had a stick with a hacksaw blade attached to it earlier, just so I could cut a few cable ties and get the damn things out...!! :shock:

Thanks again itchy. Muchas gracias..!! :ok
'89 1.9 DG

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

You're very welcome, happy to help :ok
Don't forget camping season is starting sooner than you think, need to get it back together and some miles under your belt on short journeys to be confident it's reliable.
I don't go on a trip without at least a month of weekend outings after any major work.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

itchyfeet wrote:You're very welcome, happy to help :ok
Don't forget camping season is starting sooner than you think, need to get it back together and some miles under your belt on short journeys to be confident it's reliable.
I don't go on a trip without at least a month of weekend outings after any major work.

No pressure to meet that spring deadline then...!!
( Strangely ironic, considering the topic we are discussing... :lol: )

I'm hoping to break-the-back of it this weekend though. If it doesn't break my back first :rofl
'89 1.9 DG