Replacement Aircooled exhaust.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Re: Replacement Aircooled exhaust.

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

I meant to text you this the other day Sam. It would be the best option in terms of labour and that, and would leave you cash for the replacement heat exchanger(s) and top end rebuild.

Or go mad, get the angle grinder on the rear valance and stick this on. I may not be able to see you in my rear view any more, but I'll hear you a few miles back!

http://www.limebug.net/product/view/192 ... -steel-759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1986 2.1DJ on carb. panel van/Reimo camper / 1991 2.1MV Swedish syncro doka

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

Very useful info, thanks guys.

I'm In touch with NWVW about the stainless one.

How do the bluebird/speedshop boxes sound and do the give a little improvement in performance?
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

samk wrote:How do the bluebird/speedshop boxes sound and do the give a little improvement in performance?

(EDITED = the following refers to the full VW Speedshop system, not the item ajsimmo is referring to). The VW Speedshop one is definitely a bit on the loud side, especially when first fitted, after a while the inside gets a layer of carbon and soot on it, and this tames it down a bit. It's very well designed and I guess it might give a tad more umph, but not enough so you really notice it. It sounds faster though 8)

The Bluebird / VW Heritage (type) twin tip is also very well made but is not at all loud, in fact it has a very pleasant note imho. Again, I did not "feel" any performance increase, but it might offer a bit of an improvement.
Last edited by ghost123uk on 31 Jan 2016, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

John, I think you might be describing the full Speedshop WBX system. The silencer shown is designed for type4 Aircooled bay/t25 (and also fits early wbx). It has a much more subtle understated burbling sound. I've fitted a couple of these and I wouldn't say it's on the loud side at all.
Also you mentioned the link shows the single tail pipe version, but if you read the text it says twin outlet version is also available (as shown in the other images).
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You'd have to be off your trolley to pay over £300 for a back box.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

ajsimmo wrote:John, I think you might be describing the full Speedshop WBX system
Ah, yes, point taken ;)
I have edited my post to make that clear.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

samk
80-90 Mem No: 6330

Post by samk »

I like the idea of Covkids solution but don't have time to tinker at the moment and need a quick fix as MOT is due. An affordable stainless one would help prevent future costs too.

thanks again all.
83 2ltr Air-Cooled Autohomes Kamper. Kamper roof died. Fitted an original Westy Pop-top.