Getting coolant out of the Block - how? (JX)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Getting coolant out of the Block - how?

Post by Smcknighty »

I'd pull a pipe from the heater, for the rad which one is disconnected? Bottom one would be best.

epowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by epowell »

Smcknighty wrote:I'd pull a pipe from the heater, for the rad which one is disconnected? Bottom one would be best.

OK, I'll disconnect a pipe from the heater tomorrow.

From the RAD I can't say which is "bottom" because there are two and they both run side by side in parallel... I pulled the one which is closest to the outside of the van - it is running along nearer to the outside, the other is inside... here is a foto.

The RAD would be towards the bottom of this foto... I fully opened this pipe shown here being worked on.

epowell

Post by epowell »

So probably I am now OK with regard to the coolant situation - this is what I did:
1) with waterpump off, siphoned off 3/4L of water and then replaced that with 3/4L pure coolant --- now that seems well mixed.
2) opened one main hose near RAD (drained)
3) opened the other main hose up by the engine (already empty up there) - then ran a very long plastic tube all the way down that hose to the front and siphoned off a bunch of water left in that hose - then poured 1/4L pure antifreeze into the pipe - which I assume will take care of any remaining liquid down there
4) opened the heater on dash - then opened both heater hoses down below... even siphoned off some liquid from one of them (some nasty stuff came out - I assume from the heater)

So that's it... I think I took care of everything?

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Water tank, kitchen pipes, waste water tank? :)

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

Oh and windscreen washer bottle!

epowell

Post by epowell »

The PO said the kitchen water tank is empty (? let's hope so... but how to check? perhaps there is a drain plug - must look tomorrow...

BUT yes yes you are right - I forgot about the windshield wipers... I guess it is enough to pour in there some antifreeze?? Or is there some special fluid? ....maybe just some cheap vodka? I heard that work perfectly for antifreeze.

Thanks for the heads' up! :shock: :D :shock: