Gearbox help very much appreciated

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Pwag20
80-90 Mem No: 11694

Gearbox help very much appreciated

Post by Pwag20 »

I've been reliably informed since my gearbox spat rather a mammoth about of oil all over the drive that I need a new/old/replacement/refurbished one. As this unfortunate incident occurred days after I decided to sell I want to do this the cheapest way possible as the plan still is to sell once repaired.

I would very much appreciate some advice - I've put an ad in the wanted section and believe there is a gearbox guru (Aiden?) who frequents these parts??

I'm not in any immediate rush so if anyone knows anyone who can help that would be great. Thanking all in advance :)
Judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Gearbox help very much appreciated

Post by itchyfeet »

get a pic up of where the oil is coming from, could just be an oil seal.
any other symptoms such as crunchy or hard to select gears?
If it's coming from the engine end get some oil on your fingers and smell it, gear oil has a very pungent smell, much stronger than engine oil.

Aidan has a very long waiting list, google Aidan talbot for contact details.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Pwag20

Post by Pwag20 »

I'm hoping this will work. I have had someone have a look and am very confident that the gearbox is dead. It been popping out of second gear from time to time for almost as long as I've had it and the oil has the wonderful aroma of cats pi$$:

Judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid

Pwag20

Post by Pwag20 »

And another:

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

my guess is the end of the gearbox has rotted through, you get bimetallic corrosion from the steel hanger, the reverse light switch, the earth strap locarion and salt collecting in the gap, particularly bad on 5 speed and people who live near the coast.

I take it that oil is not really red, just a reflection of the red bowl in pic 1
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Pwag20

Post by Pwag20 »

You're right that the oil is not red! It's kind of black silvery with some silver bits in it.....

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Second hand box will likely be the lowest cost option if you can find one but it's a gamble, you could convert to 4 speed also
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

got a used diesel box here...will accept the petrol bellhousing if yours is a petrol engine.

will need the input shaft from yours too....as we have nicked it from the box for our engine conversion. x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Pwag20

Post by Pwag20 »

ermie571 wrote:got a used diesel box here...will accept the petrol bellhousing if yours is a petrol engine.

will need the input shaft from yours too....as we have nicked it from the box for our engine conversion. x

Hiya. This may as well be written in a foreign language I'm afraid (and embarrassed to admit). But if there is something that will have to come off mine as and when I have a new gearbox fitted that I can help you with then send me a message :)