pierburg carburetor

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

whooshystrousse
80-90 Mem No: 0

pierburg carburetor

Post by whooshystrousse »

hi I am having trouble with my t25 watercooled 1990,1913cc,petrol carburettor,put new fuel pump in new pushrod
a new petrol filter new petrol pipes,i had to be towed in before all of this RAC bloke to get this done which I have ,but now it starts but I am dubias of taking her out just if she breaks down again, it frustrating me the petrol flow is pumping in the carb. but seems its dry when I open the air filter I don't want to take her out just because of this there must be a simple explination can anyone HELP,Please.

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Re: pierburg carburetor

Post by blacky »

whooshystrousse wrote:hi I am having trouble with my t25 watercooled 1990,1913cc,petrol carburettor,put new fuel pump in new pushrod
a new petrol filter new petrol pipes,i had to be towed in before all of this RAC bloke to get this done which I have ,but now it starts but I am dubias of taking her out just if she breaks down again, it frustrating me the petrol flow is pumping in the carb. but seems its dry when I open the air filter I don't want to take her out just because of this there must be a simple explination can anyone HELP,Please.
"petrol pumping in carb" so thats ok? "seems its dry when I open air cleaner" you cant tell level of carb fuel by taking cleaner off, only way to tell theres some fuel in carb that way is open throttle and see if fuel is squited into intake from accelerator pump nozzle. If it's running now leave it ticking over for a while, if thats ok take it round block a few times, if thats ok gradually increase distance till your confidence in vehicle returns

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

So what actually happened when you had to call out the rescue
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

kevtherev wrote:So what actually happened when you had to call out the rescue
It was a bit of a puzzling post wasn't it

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

The poster e-mailed me to say the engine petered out and stalled

If your confidence has been dented I would take it for a drive locally, for about half an hour of mixed driving.
To me the problem has been addressed.

Owning a T25 is like this, but a constant maintainence programme alleviates my concerns, if you have to rely on garages then this will be expensive.
I maintain the thing myself, because I need the confidence it has been done, and good quality parts have been used.

whooshystrousse

Post by whooshystrousse »

Thanks to you kevtherev the only thing is that I live in Penzance?. I will take your advice, fingers crossed. Regards. Whooshystrousse.

harris121163
80-90 Mem No: 3614

Post by harris121163 »

a similar problem happened to myself. I found that the fuel pump failed. I was towed home replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines and filter. test ran and found ok. but on reading the latest edition of camper and commercial there was an article about the ethonal in the petrol affecting the diaphrams and fuel pipes degrading the rubber pipes and diaphrams in the fuel pumps. give your van a run locally and give it a test run hope this helps cheers ed

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

That was another reason I switched to an electric pump - degradation. I just have to keep an eye on fuel lines now. I had all kinds of miscellaneous issues on my old pump - usually at the worst moments, like at a busy junction (FOUR times). Now I can hear the line prime before I start. Some campers/vans have a habit of draining back to the tank when parked for a few days but that doesn't matter on an electric pump. Just cool to be free of it to be honest.

As Kev says, just drive locally until your confidence is restored.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Nel 3

Post by Nel 3 »

Hi all,
I have just had a pierburg carb put on my vehicle and it has a brass reservoir attached which has a fuel outlet and inlet and a fuel return outlet, My van has not pulled well since it was fitted, It starts well now and the engine sounds good but little power as soon as I pull away. I have been advised by the seller that the reservoir should be removed as this carb is actually for the four wheel drive. This would mean no fuel return line as the carburetor does not have one. Has anyone come across these and or got any advice ?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Nel 3 wrote:Hi all,
I have just had a pierburg carb put on my vehicle and it has a brass reservoir attached which has a fuel outlet and inlet and a fuel return outlet,
It is a bubble separator plenty of carburetor vehicles where fitted with them, it won't cause any problems unless the fuel lines are connected the wrong way round check they have been fitted correctly first.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Nel 3 wrote:, My van has not pulled well since it was fitted, It starts well now and the engine sounds good but little power as soon as I pull away?
No power...
Incorrect timing
Fuel filter choked
Fuel pump faulty
Vacuum leak at the manifold
Plug gap
Low compression
Blocked jets
Faulty autochoke (overchoke)