Van stalling when revved

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

daddyjim
80-90 Mem No: 12399

Van stalling when revved

Post by daddyjim »

Hi all,

I have an issue with my 81 2.0L air cooled.
When you start it, it runs on tickover but when you give it a little bit of revs it stalls!
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers
James

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Re: Van stalling when revved

Post by Bubble Meister »

Timing as a start. Fuel filter. Mixture. Accelerator pump. So to be brief but at work.
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

What happens if you push the throttle a little bit further? Does it stall or does it go beyond the flat spot and begin to rev?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

^^^whs^^^ - had very similar on mine - with a bit of feathering you could get beyond the flat spot - split diaphragm in vacuum advance unit on the dizzy was my issue - apparently you can get smilar if accelerator pump diaphragm is split (though dont know if you have that on an AC engine).
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Back to basics. Has somebody turned the tickover adjustment screw down recently? If they have, once the auto choke cuts out then there won't be enough fuel getting through to stop it stalling once it has warmed up.

what2do

Post by what2do »

SamsBus2012 wrote:^^^whs^^^ - had very similar on mine - with a bit of feathering you could get beyond the flat spot - split diaphragm in vacuum advance unit on the dizzy was my issue - apparently you can get smilar if accelerator pump diaphragm is split (though dont know if you have that on an AC engine).

That's what I was wondering. I'm hoping his symptoms will be the same so that I can offer some practical advice for once as this is the only thing my van has suffered from since I've owned it. It's nice to help once in a while........more info required first.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

daddyjim

Post by daddyjim »

Cheers for the help guys, gonna try the tickover screws tomorrow and see if that helps. :)

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

There's only one idle screw if you've got the original Solex carbs. It's on the left hand carb. Setting up these carbs is pretty easy if you follow this. Adjusting the idle is the last thing to do.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

what2do

Post by what2do »

daddyjim wrote:Cheers for the help guys, gonna try the tickover screws tomorrow and see if that helps. :)

You've not answered the above question.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

daddyjim wrote:Cheers for the help guys, gonna try the tickover screws tomorrow and see if that helps. :)
what2d wrote: You've not answered the above question.
@what2d - I don't understand your post because:
A) He only posted that yesterday, meaning he's trying the tickover screws today
B) It's not a question

@daddyjim
As said above, technically there's only one "tickover screw", and it almost certainly won't be that. The ratwell guide is very useful, if you have a gas analyser.
First job with twin Solex (for me, anyway) is to balance the air flow with a carb balancer. It's also essential to make sure that you have no air leaks. Common places are the right hand elbow on the rear balance pipe and t-piece to brake servo at other end, idle circuit pipework joining hoses, and vac pipes to dizzy. Also seen these carbs come loose at the base, so check they're tightly bolted to the manifolds.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

what2do

Post by what2do »

I just thought that if op was experiencing problems then perhaps he would know what it was like to drive in general and if the flat spot could be overcome by 'pushing through' it so to speak. Perhaps providing more data before making any adjustments. I didn't wish to imply that he immediately go and try to drive the van and report back instantaneously - I'd be willing to let him make a brew first!!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

daddyjim

Post by daddyjim »

I can Rev it as much as I like, it's only when the revs die down that it stalls. It does sound to me like it's miss firing. Think I am gonna have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing as I have no idea and will probably make things a lot worse. Anyone know of a good vw mechanic in the new forest area? Thanks again for all your input peeps. :)

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Post by Bubble Meister »

You say that it's misfiring - is that when you rev it up, when you drive steadily or on deceleration? Or all of them? Is the pull down unit working? It's the black vacuum unit thing on the carb - it slows the deceleration rate.
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

daddyjim

Post by daddyjim »

It sounds like it's miss firing all the time. I will check the other things later tonight. Cheers

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

Is the pull down unit working? It's the black vacuum unit thing on the carb - it slows the deceleration rate.

An air-cooled is a twin carb so it hasn't got one of those.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.