Has anyone fitted Rear Disk Brakes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PeterOD
80-90 Mem No: 0

Has anyone fitted Rear Disk Brakes

Post by PeterOD »

Wondered if anyone had fitted a disk brake kit to the back end?

Any problems?

All the best -- Pete

chapperss
80-90 Mem No: 1343

Re: Has anyone fitted Rear Disk Brakes

Post by chapperss »

I used a EPYTEC.de kit )t4 vr6 discs. its great. no real problems. hubs need turning down a bit and you need late mk2 golf (with rear discs) handbrake cables, these are a bit long but still fit and work well(fully loaded It locks the rear wheels up on dry tarmac at any speed easily). I've been running them for over a year with no issues at all. You can use any t4 rear calipers as these are all the same (vr6 or not) its just the carriers are a bit taller for the vr6. My drums and back plates were shot it didn't cost much more to do this. Steve
1990 twin slider transporter. Subaru 5 speed trans. 3.3 svx subaru motor(it scares me!)

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have got complete fitting kits (inc. adjustable handbrake cables) on the shelf, uses mk1 Sharan discs and calipers (cheap and from a similar gvw mpv)
Fits 15" wheel minimum.

PS I have sold over 30 kits with nothing to report, about half of these to syncros. They work.

PPS My kits are all UK manufactured from certified & tested materials. No imports or Union Jack stickers!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Well worth doing if you have a modified or different engine but not if you're running around in a stock one (in my opinion). The reason I say this is that in my experience its the tyres that will be the weakest point when it comes to rapid braking if your brakes are in good fettle. My brakes are drum on the rear but I have no probs stopping in a hurry. Everything is kept in good order and adjusted when prudent. 1.9DG

If I really have to stop damned quick, its the tyres that will make the noise (potential loss of grip) and they are Michelins 8-ply with excellent tread on them. I think this subject has come up before actually. On that basis, even if I fitted discs on the rear, I'm not going to stop any quicker or if I did, control of steering may then be a bigger issue. Food for thought anyway.

No reflection on Silverbullet's kits (which are excellent) but do consider the above. Theres a lot of campers out there running on car tyres. I won't dwell on that though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Baring in mind that the front to rear split (percentage of braking effort on the front compared to the rears) needs to remain the same otherwise you will end up with the back wheels locking up every time you brake heavily as the more weight force transfers to the front wheels (like doing an 'endo' on a motorbike)
Taught as the 60:40 split but can be higher (70:30 or more) depending on how fast you stop. That's one of the reasons a brake compensator is fitted)
The main advantage of a disc setup is better heat dissipation, however, pads do not have self servo action and generally offer a poorer hand brake.
So WHY THEN? have most modern vehicles gone to a rear disk setup? the answer is because of the fitment and operation of ABS....Anti lock braking systems operate more effectively with callipers and pads than they do with wheel cylinders and shoes....as pads self adjust to a closer tolerance to a disc, where as shoes generally have to travel further to contact the drum.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

The T3 has an inertia valve that limits rear line pressure.

Come to think, our Sharan has disks all round but not ABS.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Has anyone actually removed that valve and fitted an aftermarket bias one?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Not round here. All been done in the Fatherland.