Rear sits lower

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Rear sits lower

Post by jas915 »

Hi, noticed the rear of my van sits a good bit lower than the front, im wanting to sort this out.
I did replace the shocks and springs all round maybe 6 years ago could these now be tired and need replacing?
van has a 1.9 td (been in 2 years)in but think it was always sitting front high before this but seems to have got worse in last year.
Any ideas

thanks
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

Mojoh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Rear sits lower

Post by Mojoh »

What? no replies?, that's not nice.

Of course, this subject is objective. It depends on many factors.
That V12 you have fitted might be a tad too heavy! lol.

You fitted new dampers and springs, were they right to start with, or just OK?
Technically, they will last 12 years if of reasonable quality, so you need to look further.
The springs fit into plastic guides (front), the rears also.
Sounds like you got the wrong springs to start with.., it's kind of very simple stuff.
Either it works or it doesn't. No adjustments on the T3 really.
By the way, level is determined by spring height, not dampers.

Best get an expert to take a look........Only ever saw this problem on a T1, but the set up is quite different.

Mojoh.

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

after market springs?
never found that genuine springs sag much , more likely to break.

factory springs come in different rating and will have colours painted on them(check the wiki) if you bough aftermarket ones they will be generic (fits all types) however this will actually be incorrect for your van!

fronts are usualy blue dots rears yellow or green . presume you don't have a lowered or higer spec van ?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

jas915 wrote:Hi, noticed the rear of my van sits a good bit lower than the front, im wanting to sort this out.
I did replace the shocks and springs all round maybe 6 years ago could these now be tired and need replacing?
van has a 1.9 td (been in 2 years)in but think it was always sitting front high before this but seems to have got worse in last year.
Any ideas

thanks
Lowered van?
Replaced with whos springs?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

scimdiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by scimdiesel »

Is it really saggy arsed or does it just look that way. The wheel arch gap front to rear is not the same as standard VW spec. The front wheel arch gap is larger making the vehicle look a*** down. This can look worse as the vehicle is lowered. After all from 10 foot away the difference of 100 and 80 mm wheel arch gap looks less than 40 and 20 mm wheel arch gaps. Flat floor and a spirit level on the floor inside will tell you how level it is. I think the roof gutter should also be parallel with the floor.