Fuel pump leaking oil.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wingit100
80-90 Mem No: 12575

Fuel pump leaking oil.

Post by Wingit100 »

Hello there, a little advice please. Having just returned from a 2000 mile trip around Europe with our good ol van performing handsomely I've parked up on our sloped drive and noticed that half of my engine oil has dropped out drip by drip via the drain pipe from the mechanical fuel pump. It's the original pump and I'm guessing this could be a leak in an internal diaphragm or similar or is it goosed? I know the small drain pipe must be there for a reason but any advice would really be appreciated. It's a 2.0 Aircooled engine. Ta muchly.
T25 Devon camper 1982 2 litre Aircooled.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Fuel pump leaking oil.

Post by CovKid »

Sounds like it. You may struggle to get a replacement pump on these, or at least one at sensible cost so you'd probably have to fit an electric pump and seal off the pump face on the engine block.

Been a while since I've touched a 2ltr Aircooled but if I remember rightly, the fuel pump lays on its side at the back of the engine so far more likely to hit this problem if the diaphram or gaskets let too much oil past. Check your plugs - you could be burning oil too possibly.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Wingit100

Post by Wingit100 »

Thankyou again Covkid. You have given me advice before re the fitting of a facet pump when I was repairing a fuel line feed into it. I think the time may have come to fit one. I will look over what you advised me previously. I'm assuming it's the rather extreme angle of my driveway that's making the problem more obvious by forcing oil down towards the pump.
Cheers!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

The downside of fitting an electric pump is fuel lines and fittings have to be tight and float level valves in good order as you then have a more consistent positive pressure in the line. When I fitted an electric pump, I had to strip and regasket the carb as it was flooding due to the float valve being unable to cope with that extra pressure. Was fine after, but worth noting. The need to check the condition of fuel lines each year becomes more important than ever too.

On the plus side, the carbs will get what they need and that will often get rid of symptoms like cutting out at large throttle openings. In addition its much easier to reprime the line if you ever run out of fuel. By the book the pump should be inoperative if the engine isn't actually running for safety reasons although I'd recommend a 'push-to-make' manual overide switch in case the entire line is dry for some reason. I never actually found a convenient way to do that so have to drop a wire from battery positive directly to pump underneath which can be damn awkward. I may fit a switch next week as it needs doing.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Wingit100

Post by Wingit100 »

Cheers again. I will look at getting one asap. The carbs are brand new so shouldn't be a problem. I will search the site anyway but is there a particular one you recommend and is it a simple enough did task?

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Just read more recent threads on the facet pump. More than one way to wire them too. Mine runs off the alternator but there are certainly better ways.

Wingit100

Post by Wingit100 »

Ok brilliant, I shall have a look and let you know how it goes. Thanks.