Gearbox question

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Funbus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Gearbox question

Post by Funbus »

I've read the wiki but abit of advice please.
I'm running a 1.9td aaz, rebuilt last year and running sweet.
Box is 5 speed 3H box and 14 inch wheels.

It sometimes jumps out of 2nd. Goes up the gears ok, clunks going down to 3rd and 2nd. I rarely use first. From reading wiki it sounds like syncromesh. Although logbook lists van as syncro so not sure if gear stick is correct for box.

Also van seems really high revs when at 55mph. Will a higher final drive kit cure this problem.

Engines and bodywork I can do, gearboxes....I can't. Thinking about sending it away for rebuild.
Any advice appreciated

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Gearbox question

Post by Aidan »

3H should be 3600rpm at 70mph something like 2700 at 55mph so shouldn't be revving really hard, if it really is revving harder than that then box isn't a 3H inside, just built in a 3H case.
Until the box is stripped there is no way of knowing exactly what you have or the cause of the issues you have with it but it sounds like either a lash up bitsa box or one with high wear levels or both
Michael Tee3 at Brickwerks ran 4.14 final drive with a good AAZ and it worked though you are pushing the gearing I reckon but given the shortage of AAP ratio final drives there isn't a lot of choice for those desperate to reduce revs

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Cheers Aiden
It's a bitsa van so may be a bitsa box. Michael done the final drive mod with view to tdi in the future? Which is what I may do. Is it possible that the clunking of 2nd and 3rd is linkage adjustment or is it likely to be the syncromesh?

I best get saving. What is approx cost of final drive mod and refurb?

Cheers

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

figure on from £1680 for a rebuild with oiling plates and a 4.14 final drive upgrade
could be linkage but more likely wear in the relay lever shaft bore and wear in the rings and pinion shaft moving to and fro due to worn pinion bearing; what was the magnet like at oil change ?

Funbus

Post by Funbus »

Magnet wasn't bad on oil change. I don't know when it was last done though.
I best get saving.
Cheers