Exhaust Header Gasket

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Midge
80-90 Mem No: 13768

Exhaust Header Gasket

Post by Midge »

Hi Folks

I set about removing part of my exhaust as I had convinced myself that it was about to drop off...

Then on closer inspection I found that the dodgy bit is not the actual exhaust, but some kind of heat-collector shroud thing that's plumbed in around the outside of the exhaust and has big air pipes that snake off to the back somewhere near the tailgate. This collector-thing is hanging by a bit of rust but looks like it will just sit there without causing any problems so I'm not overly concerned - should I be :?:

Anyway, now I've (mistakenly) separated the pipe from the engine by a couple of inches and want to put it back again - should I use some kind of joint compound on both sides of the exhaust header gasket :?:

I have some Bosal Exhaust Cement and was going to use that, but I have a feeling it is more for metal-to-metal rather than gasket sealing - so I just wanted to get some good advice here first :D

Cheers, Midge
"...of course it can go faster - if you fill it up I'd be happy to show ya..."

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Exhaust Header Gasket

Post by bigherb »

Not normally needed just tighten the nuts equally a bit at a time so it pulls the flange down straight.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Midge
80-90 Mem No: 13768

Re: Exhaust Header Gasket

Post by Midge »

Thanks matey - I've refitted it 'dry' as per your advice.

Much appreciated :D
"...of course it can go faster - if you fill it up I'd be happy to show ya..."