Mechanic SOS

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Juuls
80-90 Mem No: 0

Mechanic SOS

Post by Juuls »

Am about ready to throw in the towel. Urgently need work carrying out on the van and can i find or get a booking in with a reputable mechanic? It's worse than trying to get a doctors appointment! I've got plenty of cash to throw at the van and no bleeder out there to do it. Can anyone recommend a competent trustworthy cash strapped mechanic in the Nottingham area? Please!

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Mechanic SOS

Post by CJH »

What are you looking to have done? If it's driveable, Andrew at Campershack near Grantham is highly recommended.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

or T3volution in Spalding

but the good ones are always busy, the overpriced and cowboys will always be able to fit you in and lighten the wallet

Juuls

Post by Juuls »

It's a big job. Engine strip down(some external corrosion due to leaking head gasket) and exhaust replacement.Not for the faint hearted. I have a great fella but due to time restraints and the majority of his work being MOT's he can't do it. The irony is, the van is running sweet, no oil leaks or over heating.

CJH

Post by CJH »

Is this on a WBX? If it's just a bit of weeping from the black water jacket seal under one of the heads, you can probably run like that for a while. I have. I get a little dribble of water on top of the engine after a run, but it's so small it doesn't noticeably affect the water level in the overflow tank. You should get it sorted, obviously, but it's not an urgent job unless you're losing a lot of water. Maybe the urgency depends on the state of your exhaust - but if not, book it in somewhere reputable and keep using it till then.

(Of course, if it's not a WBX, then a head gasket leak is a different matter)

George22
80-90 Mem No: 13035

Post by George22 »

If it's mechanical definitely try Campershack! He looks after ours...which used to be his!

Juuls

Post by Juuls »

The van is my daily drive and it's been an issue now since Christmas. Not doing silly high mileage in it.Leak in one corner.The bolts are the worry.Plenty of external corrosion (jacket seals) and definite exhaust replacement. Keeping coolant levels nice and low to avoid too much leakage! Like i said, van running sweet……..but driver ever so slightly paranoid.

CJH

Post by CJH »

Juuls wrote:Keeping coolant levels nice and low to avoid too much leakage!

What?! Don't do that! Keep the coolant topped up at all times, or you'll end up with other, more serious, problems. The tank in the left hand corner should be brim full, and the other one behind the number plate flap should be between the marks.

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

As above , keep it topped up , I have a weep from the head seal on left side , I top it up every 2 weeks and check it every week.
KEEP IT TOPPED UP or it will die for sure
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Juuls

Post by Juuls »

RE: Coolant, no worries. Just phoned Campershack in Grantham. What lovely people. Thanks for pointing me in their direction. Fingers and everything else crossed…...

trentjim
80-90 Mem No: 11422

Post by trentjim »

Camper shack is definitely worth the drive from Nottingham - mine is making its second visit there in May. Andrew is a safe and friendly pair of hands
'91 (ex Whitestar) Purplestar hightop 1Z TDI