Oil sump stuck! KY engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ads1987
80-90 Mem No: 13081

Oil sump stuck! KY engine

Post by Ads1987 »

Trying to replace the oil pump on my 1.7 diesel camper, unfortunately the old owner stuck the oil sump on with black sealant, it's obviously on there tight as only about three of the sump bolts were tighter than hand tight.....

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any neat ideas to remove it?
So far I've tried cutting through the sealant with a knife but I can't get to large part of it as access is tight, Im a bit worried about trying to pry it off with a chisel as i don't want to damage the block, so short of bashing it with a big hammer and finding a replacement?

Anyone had a similar dilemma?

Thanks for reading
1982 T25 1.9 DG model with 4 speed box

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Oil sump stuck! KY engine

Post by R0B »

Try heating it with blowtorch.If you can get one in there.I have a gas powered soldering iron with a blowtorch tip,summat like that might work.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Ads1987

Post by Ads1987 »

Thanks rob, that might help melt it I guess, I can get to the bottom side but the top will be difficult, it's a ky engine so it's leant over to one side so one side is quite restricted

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Big block of wood and a large hammer? They are fairly robust sumps...

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Ads1987

Post by Ads1987 »

Yeah gonna give it a go at the weekend provided it's not raining for the whole time! :P
Just trying to work out if the sump gasket i've been sent is going to be any good or not, it seems to be made out of cardboard! The one from Just Kampers is a metal seal covered in rubber, where as this is a compact cardboard/paper material. At least it's the right shape!

Ads1987

Post by Ads1987 »

Ok guys I got the sump off and brought the new rubber style gasket, I couldn't find any information on the sites about different bolts so I reused the ones that came out.

When I removed the sump only four of the twenty bolts were tight, the others could be undone by hand and the sump was held on by sealant.
The book I have said don't use sealant so I didn't, two bolt threads were stripped, I saved one but the other directly underneath the crank pulley is knackered.
Now it's leaking from the back of engine, around the area of the bolt that won't tighten, I wouldn't have thought the leak is because of this one bolt?

Do you guys use selant on your sump gasket and have you got any good ideas to fix this that won't involve another oil change and annoying sump removal?