Using Carb Cleaner

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

freckvan1
80-90 Mem No: 8492

Using Carb Cleaner

Post by freckvan1 »

Evening All ,

I'm going to attempt the hand over Carb method in trying to clear dirt within ,
following up with Carb Cleaner .

1984 , 1,9 DG , W/C , Pierburg 2E

Read the Wicki and just need confirmation of removing Air Filter on Carb , is this
done prior to start up ? Anything to watch out for ?

When using Carb Cleaner which is the best method/procedure in spraying
the Carb and any advice on which Carb Cleaner is most effective .?
Thanks,
Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Re: Using Carb Cleaner

Post by fairwynds »

Take top of carb air box off. With van cold and before touching accelerator pedal, spray carb cleaner over inside and outside of carb. Follow directions on can but usually leave fir couple minutes to allow it to 'de gum' the throat of carb etc. Now depress accelerator pedal to floor once, and release it. Do not start engine yet. Go peer down carb to check position of choke flap, should be closed. Now go start your van, and when running give some revs to clear the crap out. Again, follow directions on can.
As for which is best product? Any of the named brands will do pretty much same job..
If carb really bad, only way is to remove and do complete refurb.....pays fir itself in no time with improved economy. :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

Cheers Fairwynds , just what I needed .
I'll give it a go in morning and let you know, thanks mate .
Atb,
Chris :ok
1984 1,9DG. W/C

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

In my experience cleaning the float bowl needed the carb to be split to get at it properly.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

freckvan1 wrote:I'm going to attempt the hand over Carb method in trying to clear dirt within ,
That ^^^ occasionally works, but please use an old paperback book or summat, not your hand! - Get engine warm, rev it up quite high by hand on the carb lever, place book over carb mouth whilst at the same time shoving the carb lever fully open, the engine will die (due to lack of any air getting in), that is fine. You then might have a bit of trouble starting it as it will be well flooded, but a wide open throttle and a couple of goes on the key should fire it up. It will run lumpy for a few seconds as it clears the excess fuel drawn in. Sometimes it clears a minor blockage, sometimes not.

Aside = putting your hand over the air intake is not recommended due to the amount of suction that can be present. On a Diesel engine it can suck the insides of your hand into the engine :shock: :evil:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

freckvan1

Post by freckvan1 »

Thanks John , Kev and Fairwynds for replying and sound advice .

Yup I'll use a book ( maybe Osborne's Austerity Plan!) .

I know I need to strip Carb down at some time , so I'll have a bash
practising on an old Pierburg 2E I have before I take the plunge . :shock:
In the meantime I'll try as you suggest .

Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

freckvan1 wrote:I know I need to strip Carb down at some time
Don't forget to source a new top to base gasket before splitting the carb Chris, = Available here "other sources are of course available" :lol:

Re carb cleaner, I am never sure whether it does much of use. It may clean linkages etc, and the 2E3 has plenty, but paraffin or WD40 does that too. What do you reckon kevtherev?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

You just can't beat a good strip down, a nylon bristle and compressed air. :D

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

In my experience of regularly using carb cleaner when I raced motorbikes, it's crap! Once upon a time, it used to be very effective but now all the 'bad stuff' has been removed from the product, it's very ineffective. I have many times removed and stripped the carb on my bike and cleaned with coca cola - the best thing out there for the job IMHO. Sometimes if I remembered at the end of a season, I'd send it off for ultrasonic cleaning and request the company would wrap the debris in a white tissue and return it with the carb - it's surprising when you see the amount of varnishes that can accumulate.

Used to cost me £20 for a clean, including onstage if I supplied suitable packaging.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Cellulose thinners (if you have any) cleans the metal parts of a carb brilliantly. Use in a well ventilated area though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

CovKid wrote:Cellulose thinners (if you have any) cleans the metal parts of a carb brilliantly. Use in a well ventilated area though.

No need, put a towel over your head and enjoy the 'ride' :D
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

Not big enough for a whole carb but bits of one in a ;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... cleaner-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I'm glad some of the other "seasoned" mechanics on here agree that in general carb cleaner is pretty much a waste of time and money.

I too use a nylon bristle for jets and WD40 for general cleaning up of linkages etc, using an old toothbrush, followed by a squirt of aerosol grease.

I was cleaning 2 carbs off a neighbours Ducati motorbike that had been left, stored in a shed, with fuel containing Ethanol in it, for about 5 years :shock:
Boy those carbs were a real gunky mess inside. He had some carb cleaner but it barely did anything at all to the snotty gunk. I then spent ages with lint free rags, toothbrush, WD40, thinners, petrol etc but it was turning out to be a very tedious job. I then decided to see what very hot soapy water in a washing up bowl did. Wish I had tried it before as it actually was very good at loosening all that messy gunk. "Keep it simple" eh.

what2d wrote:
CovKid wrote:Cellulose thinners (if you have any) cleans the metal parts of a carb brilliantly. Use in a well ventilated area though.
Shame you can't still buy Trichloroethylene 8)

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

ghost123uk wrote:I'm glad some of the other "seasoned" mechanics on here agree that in general carb cleaner is pretty much a waste of time and money.

I too use a nylon bristle for jets and WD40 for general cleaning up of linkages etc, using an old toothbrush, followed by a squirt of aerosol grease.

I was cleaning 2 carbs off a neighbours Ducati motorbike that had been left, stored in a shed, with fuel containing Ethanol in it, for about 5 years :shock:
Boy those carbs were a real gunky mess inside. He had some carb cleaner but it barely did anything at all to the snotty gunk. I then spent ages with lint free rags, toothbrush, WD40, thinners, petrol etc but it was turning out to be a very tedious job. I then decided to see what very hot soapy water in a washing up bowl did. Wish I had tried it before as it actually was very good at loosening all that messy gunk. "Keep it simple" eh.

what2d wrote:
Shame you can't still buy Trichloroethylene 8)
Oh but you can!
It's subversive guise is "panel wipe" I'd know that aroma anywhere :D

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ahh, ^^^ good to know :ok
Guess what I will be cadging some of next time I go near a body shop :)
It's the best general solvent I know of (with Acetone a close second).