Rear Disc EBay conversion?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Rear Disc EBay conversion?

Post by Cyrus »

Does anyone know if these are any good? If they fit or not.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141530580460? ... %26_rdc%3D

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Rear Disc EBay conversion?

Post by lloydy »

Going by the similarity of the picture, I would say they are being sold by a guy called mgspares on Facebook. No idea if the fit, but it looks like you still need calipers and carriers, brake lines and handbrake lines
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Ian (username Silver bullet) does a conversion that works.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Even then, in my view not worth it unless you've got some really stomping engine fitted. I stop no prob on stock setup - very quickly. Its the tyres that become the weak link in the chain, not the brakes. As long as they're well maintained, stock brakes are more than adequate, and if you're constantly having to stamp on the brakes then you drive too fast or tailgate too much. Not you personally, just people in general.

What used to infuriate me was the opposite scenario when someone who'd just bought a Beetle or a camper then wanted me to rebuild their engine to squeeze more power out of it (bigger bores, twin carbs etc) but wouldn't spend a bean on brakes. :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i think the main bonus of rear discs is the lack of having to keep on adjusting them up like drums. I'm more than happy with the stopping power/handbrake of my drums (but mine are off a LT). Discs still appeal just down to the fact they are just about maintanance free.
Epytec do nice stuff too
http://www.epytec.de/search?sSearch=vw+t3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks, so I'm better of just spending the money on servicing the original drum brakes.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Cyrus wrote:Thanks, so I'm better of just spending the money on servicing the original drum brakes.
Yes
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

:ok

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

For the last 3 years the most I've had to do (apart from a fluid swap) is just adjust rear brake shoes up before the MOT. Your stock brakes are fine, save the money and just adjust rear shoes. If you drop in a V6, then life would be very different. :D

I wouldn't argue that discs all round improve braking but from then on all you'll get is "SCREEEEEEECH!" as your tyres try to match your brakes and its a well known fact that you more you improve brakes or any aspect of vehicle safety, the faster people drive.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

That's true, I always said if you want people to drive safe fit cars with glass doors and a 6" spike in the middle of the steering wheel.
You'd take less risks then.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I don't sell on ebay, but...

I have got stock of fitting kits though. Have about 25 conversion kits out there in T3 and syncro land and havent heard a bad word about any of them, so I must have done something right!

If your rear drums are shot to bits it is cheaper to go disc than replace the backplates, shoes, drums & cables with genuine VW parts.

You can buy the cheap brackets off ebay but finding the hamdbrake cables is another matter. I have mine made in batches of 40+ by Cablecraft. The cable crimps are proof tested to 900kg.

They don't do 1-offs and you wont find a reputable company that will re-work handbrake cables because of liability.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Can't say I know anyone who would fit completely genuine VW parts throughout on brakes, least of all in this recession, but you're right, it may be cheaper to fit discs if the lot was shot, although if they were that bad, you shouldn't be on the road anyway - thats if you haven't already crashed :D

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

silverbullet wrote:
If your rear drums are shot to bits it is cheaper to go disc than replace the backplates, shoes, drums & cables with genuine VW parts.

Really? With Sharan callipers from VW at £230 odd a side and the carriers at £115, Discs at £78 + VAT
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Kent Joker »

bigherb wrote:
silverbullet wrote:

Really? With Sharan callipers from VW at £230 odd a side and the carriers at £115, Discs at £78 + VAT

Dosent Silver bullets post say he supplys a kit for £408.00 inc
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Kent Joker »

Hi Mr Bullet Just out of interest with 25 people a day ending up on the e bay add looking for rear disc conversions why aren't you advertising your kit on there.
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic