Tool to remove Radius Rod Nuts?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pandkh
80-90 Mem No: 13031

Tool to remove Radius Rod Nuts?

Post by pandkh »

Hi

Today I wanted to replace my radius rod bushes. Got the poly'thane set from Brickwerks to replace them with. However, I didn't have the right tool to under the inner nut and to loosen the radius rod from the TCA.

I've never worked in garage. What tool would they use for this. It's a 27mm nut. I have a 27mm socket, but you need a spanner not a socket. Do I need a large adjustable wrench.?

Also, how do I torque them up again afterwards. I have a socket torque wrench, do you get spanner based torque wrenches?

Thanks
1986 1.9 petrol water-cooled high top

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: Tool to remove Radius Rod Nuts?

Post by nevill3 »

You shouldn't move the rear nut unless you really have to, it alters the castor angle so if you do need to move it make sure you mark it's position. I recently replaced all my front bushes and didn't need to move the rear nut at all.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

andyvw
80-90 Mem No: 2853

Post by andyvw »

Assuming you're late style with screw in radius rods, then record the distance of the inner nut from the suspension end before you start. You'll need a 27mm open ended spanner to unscrew that nut, and to then unscrew the rod.
I doubt an adjustable will be stable enough given the force you're going to need to unscrew the rod. Best to get a slogging spanner, then you can easily use a steel tube to get increased leverage.
The Haynes manual is clear on this.

Ads1987
80-90 Mem No: 13081

Post by Ads1987 »

I used a really good adjustable spanner and needed a big steelson wrench, think that's the name of it? It clamps onto a rod and gets tighter as you turn, it took a lot of force to unscrew the rod from the arm.

Even after measuring the distance of the nut it still really threw out my wheels adjustment because the new bush is a different thickness so it's definitely worth getting it checked afterwards.
1982 T25 1.9 DG model with 4 speed box

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

See here..... http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=133780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have done this repair on a customers van and 2 more to do.. I am seeing this area a lot lately and all are corroded..