Very squeaky front brakes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Re: Very squeaky front brakes

Post by weldore »

:pimp yeah , I is innit bro :pimp
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Bigfootedboarder
80-90 Mem No: 11965

Post by Bigfootedboarder »

Check for a lip on the discs, and chamfer the pads it they are wearing unevenly on the edges, and make sure they are 'free' in the carriers, clean and regrease the ends aswell, you can rub them down a bit to make them fit nicely

Choppski
80-90 Mem No: 8838

Post by Choppski »

Right guys, just resurrecting this post as the problem has never really gone away and I've Been to Scotland and back and the problem is getting worse.

However, in the last year I have replaced the front calipers with new from brickworks, had the front wheel bearings replaced on both wheels. Offside was pitted and needed doing, but near side was ok but replaced whilst out.

At first I thought the bearing were the problem as no issues for 30 miles then the squeak started ....it was definitely less noisy than before, but still making teeth ache!

When we stopped for a little while, the noise would go away then after 10 miles it comes back... It does stop when braking or going round corners.

Any more hints or suggestions to look for? I guess it could be the rear bearings with the noise bouncing around to make it sound like the front! Could it be a faulty master cylinder? Now getting to wits end.
:run
1982 Viking with 2.0 CU

Carpe Diem

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Bent backing plate just touching a disc or drum?