Engine running at very high revs

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnfevs
80-90 Mem No: 12879

Engine running at very high revs

Post by johnfevs »

I have just fitted a electric pump to my 2.0 CU. All up and running fine but engine is running at really high revs.
It does go back to normal but the when accelerating it runs fast again. Could something be sticking, I've checked the accelerator cable and it seems ok. I did take the auto choke off the right hand carb as the valve was stuck in the open position. I made a slight adjustment and refitted and was then the same as the left.
When hot both valves are open on the carbs but the revs are still high. Could t it be something to do with the auto choke sticking ? Can they be disabled to check. I'm assuming something is sticking. Will have a good look tomorrow
Morris. 1980 Air Cooled 2.0 CU pop top. Bristol
1.9 tdi T5 T30 transporter. Daily drive.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Engine running at very high revs

Post by CovKid »

Trying to think outside the box here but when its revving like that, see if removing power to electric pump for say 20-30 seconds, restores idle speed. I was just wondering (and Sarran may have a better idea) if the float valves are a little worn and its pushing a small amount of fuel through, thereby raising the revs. This may be impossible but the only way to know is to see if removing the fuel pressure momentarily, resolves it. Worth ruling it out.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

johnfevs

Post by johnfevs »

Tried disconnecting pump but still the same. Looked at the carb and the arm was off the stops. Auto choke stick and stopping arm from fully returning to stop. Took of auto choke and adjusted, now back to normal.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

johnfevs wrote: It does go back to normal but then when accelerating it runs fast again.

That either is written a bit wrong, or means the clutch is slipping.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

johnfevs

Post by johnfevs »

All sorted now the auto choke was sticking and keeping the arm on the carb from fully closing to the stops

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Actually I've had similar issues myself, high revs, zilch idle (just dies) and seriously bogged down throttle. Kevtherev would said "air leak" and he'd be right. Stripped down carb, regasket and diaphram replacements and lumpy idle restored once more. Will trace that blasted misfire eventually but for now, at least I can drive it without having to rev the nuts off it in traffic just to keep the engine going - that was SUCH hard work - especially in tailbacks!

What I would like to see is a proper pic of the way the secondary barrel comes into play on the 2e3. I can see its vacuum driven but the nylon cam that makes contact with the other appears to have a slight groove worn in it. Just trying to decide if this may cause probs and if so what.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.