New carburettor needed

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DevonMark
80-90 Mem No: 11545

New carburettor needed

Post by DevonMark »

Right, we (and when I say we, I mean Coast VW) have got to the bottom of the van's stalling/running problem and unfortunately its a worn out carb.

The vans very much still useable at the moment and I will be picking up tomorrow to carry on life as usual, but I do want to get the issue sorted so that we can carry on motoring without the occasional stalling fits. I'd imagine the new carb would make the van generally drive better as well.

The big question is, where can I get a Webber carb to replace the knackered Pierburg carb? The garage have had a quick look and can't find anywhere stocking them at the moment - they've said that if I keep an eye out and let them know as soon as I find one, they can then fit it.

Anyone got any ideas of a) exactly which Webber carb I'm looking for and b) if anyone has them in stock at the moment?

8)
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top
https://twitter.com/mark_lee

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: New carburettor needed

Post by Ian Hulley »

DevonMark wrote:Right, we (and when I say we, I mean Coast VW) have got to the bottom of the van's stalling/running problem and unfortunately its a worn out carb.

The vans very much still useable at the moment and I will be picking up tomorrow to carry on life as usual, but I do want to get the issue sorted so that we can carry on motoring without the occasional stalling fits. I'd imagine the new carb would make the van generally drive better as well.

The big question is, where can I get a Webber carb to replace the knackered Pierburg carb? The garage have had a quick look and can't find anywhere stocking them at the moment - they've said that if I keep an eye out and let them know as soon as I find one, they can then fit it.

Anyone got any ideas of a) exactly which Webber carb I'm looking for and b) if anyone has them in stock at the moment?

8)

Have they cleaned out the inlet spigot filter on the Pierburg ? Get your p/burg reconditioned but DO NOT get a Weber ... do a search on here and you'll see why.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

Thanks for quick reply Ian.

Anyone you'd recommend for reconditioning?

Apparently the problem is that the grooves on the carb are worn, so it's letting air in and running lean. Can this be fixed?
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Well the 'standard' webber rpelacement is a 34 DAT, but its no longer made (its originally for some FIat / Lancia apparently).

You can get a Webber DMTL 32/34 carb (sold as being for the LT 2.4l) It's still a 2E3 replacement but manual choke.

However, I have a Webber and wouldn't reccommend it particularly.

I'd go for a full rebuild (including shaft bushing) by someone who knows what they are doing (thios lot get good feedback in the Golf forums https://sites.google.com/site/pierburgc ... rburettors) Probably chepaer than a new carb, and you get to keep the pierberg which is the better carb.

Cheers,

Alex
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

Sounds like Bromyard are firm favourites on here for reconditioning. Have emailed them to enquire :ok
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

T25Convert wrote:Well the 'standard' webber rpelacement is a 34 DAT, but its no longer made (its originally for some FIat / Lancia apparently).

You can get a Webber DMTL 32/34 carb (sold as being for the LT 2.4l) It's still a 2E3 replacement but manual choke.

However, I have a Webber and wouldn't reccommend it particularly.

I'd go for a full rebuild (including shaft bushing) by someone who knows what they are doing (thios lot get good feedback in the Golf forums https://sites.google.com/site/pierburgc ... rburettors) Probably chepaer than a new carb, and you get to keep the pierberg which is the better carb.

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks for the reply. Out of interest, what issues do you have with the Weber?
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

My van came fitted with one by previuos owner.

It was fine, van went well mpg return was okay (they are often slated for being thirsty but never found it to be too bad).

However, its done less than 15,000 miles (4 years old) and its knackered (the spindles are totally worn out, second throttle no longer returns to shut, accel. pump diaphragm shot). Now needs a full refurb!! Your pierberg has managed about 25 years before needing a rebulid!!

Cheers,

Alex
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

DevonMark

Post by DevonMark »

T25Convert wrote:My van came fitted with one by previuos owner.

It was fine, van went well mpg return was okay (they are often slated for being thirsty but never found it to be too bad).

However, its done less than 15,000 miles (4 years old) and its knackered (the spindles are totally worn out, second throttle no longer returns to shut, accel. pump diaphragm shot). Now needs a full refurb!! Your pierberg has managed about 25 years before needing a rebulid!!

Cheers,

Alex

Sounds like a refurb is my best bet then. Thanks for advice mate, really helpful.
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

no persoanl experience but Gower and lee do a rebuild service £145 + VAt according to the website, a rebuild kit from Brickwerks is around £50 so that sounds OK to me.

http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/rebuild.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

If you send it away you will still need to ensure that it runs properly when it is fitted back on. So that will cost more money. Gasure refurbs carbs too and a lot cheaper, but you have to drive your van up there, so they can refurb and then put it back on the engine and make sure it is running smoothly. When mine needs it I will drive up to them unless somebody says they've had a bad experience. Costly in fuel I guess from your part of the country. Check them out.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Gasure is good by all accounts but by the time you have driven there from Exeter and stayed over night, driven back next day + loss of holiday or earnings I doubt you will be cheaper. Carb can be setup pretty close to whats right on the bench.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

project25
80-90 Mem No: 10030

Post by project25 »

Hi, Bromyard vw for reconditioning your Peirberg. Highly recommend them. Can be slow with replying to emails. Reconditioning takes 4-6 weeks, but comes back looking new. Not cheap, £300, could by a Weber for that, except you cant.
1984 Volkswagen T25
1.9 DG Auto high top, no longer, with Devon pop top, with no interior

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Post by weimarbus »

It's worth trying 'Southern carburettors' for a Weber replacement they may still have stock and were about £60 cheaper than Jk when they had them but that was 4 years ago, have found it is good for mpg, no flat spots and no issues. Also check 'Silverbullets' thread on this in mechanical and syncro sections.
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

I used the gowerlee rebuild service, the carb was supposedly engine tested and ready to fit, after I fitted it the van wouldn't idle and ran terrible, after a few phone calls and no help I ended up sorting it out myself. Will be the last time they get any of my money!
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

I've used Gower & Lee before, and been very happy with them.

No carb, new or used or whoever's recon it is, can ever be fully set up away from the engine it's being fitted to - it's always going to need some setting-up after being fitted. You might be lucky, and it's close off the shelf. It might be a way off.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;