2.1 dj running in rebuilt engine....?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

2.1 dj running in rebuilt engine....?

Post by spanishfly »

Sure this must have been asked before but looking for an approved running in and first oil change routine?

Thanks as always :oops:
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: 2.1 dj running in rebuilt engine....?

Post by Stesaw »

When I asked ajsimmo his response was

20 mins at 2k, and then you can vary it between 1.5k and 2.5k, just don't let it idle at all in that first 20 mins.
When driving the van on challenging roads it's better to change down and rev above 3k at part throttle than to hold the higher gear longer than normal and start to labour a bit.
The running in oil depends what it is. If the high zinc stuff i recommend then i leave it in for 500 miles, then oil change and add some Camshield oil additive.

When setting timing just set it roughly on the marks, timing light connected up, and start it up. Straight up to 2000rpm whilst briefly letting revs drop (for just a few seconds) to check the timing isn't wildly out. If it's within 5 degrees or so either way it's near enough. Do the 20 mins break in, then tweak the timing.

Just had to E D I T it a bit so it made more sense (i hope) as this was from a conversation.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Stesaw wrote:When I asked ajsimmo his response was

20 mins at 2k, and then you can vary it between 1.5k and 2.5k, just don't let it idle at all in that first 20 mins.
When driving the van on challenging roads it's better to change down and rev above 3k at part throttle than to hold the higher gear longer than normal and start to labour a bit.
The running in oil depends what it is. If the high zinc stuff i recommend then i leave it in for 500 miles, then oil change and add some Camshield oil additive.

When setting timing just set it roughly on the marks, timing light connected up, and start it up. Straight up to 2000rpm whilst briefly letting revs drop (for just a few seconds) to check the timing isn't wildly out. If it's within 5 degrees or so either way it's near enough. Do the 20 mins break in, then tweak the timing.

Just had to E D I T it a bit so it made more sense (i hope) as this was from a conversation.
That's it in a nutshell. Top editing!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

Post by spanishfly »

Slightly harrowing but all good. Timed to 5 degrees which sounds healthy?

Doubles as a test for the 2 stage fan!

Which I wasn't sure I had (no 53 relay fitted) but popped one in as I had it lying around and towards the end of the 20 minutes it roared into life. 

Thanks for the tips. 

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

If you are only going to use the nice fuel then time it to 10 degrees, but if you are using the new doom and gloom petrol time it to 5.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project