Coolant hose- thermostat housing to head

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Nigelg37
80-90 Mem No: 17273

Post by Nigelg37 »

Hello, hope everyone is ok and enjoyed the sun whilst we had it.

Does anybody know if the short 'S' shaped hose that fits between the thermostate housing and the rear of the left hand cylinder head (mines a LHD T25 Transporter 1.9 DG) is still available to buy? the hose is about 75mm/3'' long and looks to be about 35-40mm diameter. I have tried my usual stores: Heratige, GSF-VeeWee and JK but no luck. My only other option seems to be to buy a straight section and try to bend it to shape but its such a short pipe. any ideas on this will be much appreciated. The hose has a short split in it on the bend and i have a temp fix on it of Gorrila Glue and upto now its holding.

Many thanks
Nige

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Brickwerks have this in stock

251121130A

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/coolant-ho ... -head.html

£4.76 @ June 2021
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Nigelg37

Re: Coolant hose- thermostat housing to head

Post by Nigelg37 »

DoubleOSevern, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, probably because i didnt describe the hose well enough, i dont think the one from Brickwerks is the one i need. The one linked to goes from the plastic 'H' shaped distribution unit that is connected to the header tank. where the one i need is much shorter and links the Thermostate housing to the rear of the left hand head. In the Haynes manual they call it the 'stub hose' and if you want to change it they say you have to first remove the thermostate housing. if i knew how to add a photo of the hose into this reply it would be clearer. The hose looks like it is formed to shape by the manufacturer because I think if i tried replacing it with a straight section and forced it then the hose would probably just kink and there would be no flow through it... bad for the head gasget!

I am fairly sure i will not be the first that needs to replace this hose and it will be a suprise if a replacement is not available. Or some clever genius will have worked how to tak another hose of a similar shape and cut it down to size?

Thanks again for trying to help.
cheers
Nige

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

How to add pictures.Image
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

DoubleOSeven

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Yeah. Post a picture

Or scroll through Brickwerks coolant hoses

Or goto 7 zap vw. Choose typ2/syncro, then your year. Then pick the engine icon to find the schematic and grab the 9/10 digit VAG code, then google that code to find a supplier.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Last edited by DoubleOSeven on 20 Jun 2021, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

I think you are talking about the early cooling system, and the short straight joining piece between head spigot and water pump/ thermostat housing. https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/joining-pi ... -late.html
If yours is kinked it's slightly misaligned - the two pipes should be in line and almost touch (stupid design!). Maybe someone refaced the thermostat housing?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Nigelg37

Post by Nigelg37 »

ImageImage
Rob & DoubleOSevern, many thanks fellas, i owe you a beer and in the meantime taking the time to help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Many thanks for the info, link and guidance to 7 zap VW which i will do pronto. in the meantime i have taken pics of the little blighter and hopefully I am about to upload. If i get 2 pics to upload the first will be the engine bay left side and the 2nd is the hose up close. The white streak on the left edge of the hose is Gorilla Glue and yesterday i really warmed the van up and it held fine... the only reason i mention this is maybe it will be helpful to others if they are in a breakdown situation and the egg or tape doesnt do it! I got the GG from Aldi and it is good for a number of materials including rubber.

Ok, happy Sunday folks.

Nige

Nigelg37

Post by Nigelg37 »

Ajsimmo, your post popped up after isent out my thanks and pics etc. Many thanks for you info too. I agree it seems a really odd thing to do and now you mention it i wonder if the original housing has been swopped out and hence the 2 ports dont align but given that from the right side of the Thermostat/Pum housing there is also a solid pipe that goes a cross the back of the motor, provides a clamping point for the dip stick and then picks up at the same point on the back of the right hand head then it all seems to precise. My van is an 84/85 LHD and i have only owned it 16 years so many things may have happened before but this is the first time this hose has failed so its done prity good up to now.

My thought is there was a cockup in the ME/design stage and when they realised the error they then came up with a fix of having a shaped hose made to deal with the missalignment??

I will now follow up on the other fellas links and see what happens.

cheers
Nige

Nigelg37

Post by Nigelg37 »

DoubleOSeven wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 06:29

Yeah. Post a picture

Or scroll through Brickwerks coolant hoses

Or goto 7 zap vw. Choose typ2/syncro, then your year. Then pick the engine icon to find the schematic and grab the 9/10 digit VAG code, then google that code to find a supplier.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/
Many thanks for the great support and idea above - what a great info source 7 Zap is! saved into my files &, it did the trick got the VAG code just as you said and part now ordered! Now all i need to do is see if i can 'bend it like Beckam'. when i get the hose and give it ago i will Post one more to say how it went which might help someone else down the road.

I know i keep saying it but ''many thanks'' for your help.

Nige

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Post by Syncronorth »

Here is a picture how it supposed to look like 
Its a good time to change your water pump when you are doing this job. Also remember to order the gaskets so you can take everything apart and put it together without a leak.  
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I don't know these engines but what I can see is differing orientation of the plate and hence the spigot in these two photos. The angle on the corner is in a different position.

Should be - highlighted:

Actual - highlighted:

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Post by Syncronorth »

Oldiebut goodie has spotted it!

Also recommend you to order new bolts as they are normally rusted, brickwerks had them last time I did mine.
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ

DoubleOSeven

Post by DoubleOSeven »

… and try to use tension clamps instead of jubilee clips. They allow for the expansion and retraction of the pipe as it heats up and cools, thus reducing the stress on the pipe and eliminates splitting or worse still, splitting the associated fitting. Jubilee clips don’t expand and retract.

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Syncronorth wrote:Oldiebut goodie has spotted it!

Also recommend you to order new bolts as they are normally rusted, brickwerks had them last time I did mine.
Great spot! It's as simple as that.
More eagle eyed than me ImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

And now - just a straight piece of hose required.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶