Fuel Cost Germany Trip

Chat about the 25 Years Anniversary meet (May 2010) at Mammut Park Germany here!

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wbxr6 Dave

Re: Fuel Cost Germany Trip

Post by wbxr6 Dave »

Aidan

According to Bev's maths, most days we got 22.5 MPG, couple of 19.5 MPG (Head wind on the way back) 21 MPG average, not too bad for a petrol guzzler (new lamda has made a big difference)- enjoy your hat.

At the end of the day we had a fab time, so smiles per mile were very high whatever the cost 8) .

Oettinger Dave

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Ha, I can beat you all...............

914 ltrs & 4114 miles....£1371 approx.

Thats 20.5 mpg which is alot more than it seemed!!! :lol:

syncrowjoker
80-90 Mem No: 2502

Post by syncrowjoker »

Worked mine to about 20mpg, looks like i need to upgrade to one of those gas guzzling fancy engines!!! :)
AKA Syncrostan

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

syncrowjoker wrote:Worked mine to about 20mpg, looks like i need to upgrade to one of those gas guzzling fancy engines!!! :)

i am with you stan, i could do with a 6 pot if it is gonna return the same mpg as a 4pot. :D
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Just make sure its a subaru!! :D

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Dunno exactly what my mpg is yet but what i did love is that i can drive at 60mph and only have to fill up after 600km, unlike the van i was touring with after the event that was on LPG and had to stop every 190 miles to refuel (glad those petrol/LPG days are behind me). I filled up at the cheap place Pete & Sharon took us to, again before the event and twice after and i still have fuel left. I did over 2000km in total :mrgreen: Managed to put water up to the bottom of the windscreen (my petrol cant do that and work after) Did a massive hill climb that the petrol wouldnt have done and all in all diesels do rock :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Is diesel the message Jed. Get it off your chest son. :lol:

60's a bit slow for me.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

I have both a 2.1dj doka and a 1.9AAZtd westy. So i can actually give an unbiased opinion and yes the verdict is that a deisel "pooh" on a petrol :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

rough figers for you jed
2000km=1200m there abouts
3 tanks of fuel let say 60l per fill up leaving 10 already in the tank =180l
that makes 31.31mpg

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Jed,

Do it accurately on a brim to brim would be interesting... I struggle to get 25! But she's got a strange (Peugeot) pump and no working intercooler pump
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

HarryMann wrote:Jed,

Do it accurately on a brim to brim would be interesting... I struggle to get 25! But she's got a strange (Peugeot) pump and no working intercooler pump

I will, I know i always get 600km per tank maybe a tad over. I think that by Syncronutz fitting the engine and by taking advice from Russel about keeping it standard AAZ set up with no Rover boost pin and what gearing to use in the rebuild by Aiden has alot to do with it because when it left them it was and still is running perfect. Because he knows how we are planning to use the van and the roads we drive it was agreed that reliability and fuel consumption was the most important thing for us over performance. You do put your foot down abit more than me too Clive, remember :tsk

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

The "no Rover boost pin" thing is an interesting part in this i think.

Im almost tempted to try and find my old AAZ enrichment pin and see what difference it makes to MPG.....

I reckon i get about 25mpg out of mine too Clive. Rarely get more than 300 miles out of a tank :roll:

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yup, that's why I'm waiting for Jed's true figures as well... :)

Currently reckoning I got 24 mpg, but did push on a bit at times, and had that awful cross-wind in Belgium, Ostend and Dunkerque area again, and Paul and myself had some good fun off-roading Tuesday evening (looking for Mammoth tusks!)

Determined to use my bigger turbo, modded engine mount & dogleg manifold this year (less back-pressure), as well as get the intercooler working properly and possibly try another pump... think I've persisted too long with the original that came with the van (Peugeot) and it may not suit the two-stage AAZ injectors, or just be worn out

28 more consistently is what I'm after!

But the 24 is a good honest number for the 1100 miles I reckon, there's worse ways to spend money, and we got a genuine 1.13 Euro fill up in Belgium, that helped, being found on track without a detour...
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

The cheaper diesel on the continent is a massive help for you oil burners! I think the UK keep the prices high by not processing enough diesel, thus restricting supply and keeping the price up. With those prices even I could not justify having a petrol. I wonder what the reason for the price differential there is. Just watched a Fith Gear program where they were testing side by side the diesel Mini and the petrol one, they found that when driven enthusiastically the diesel only gave 1 more mpg than the petrol.

My mum and dad are touring Scotland in their T4 Syncro 102 TDi. They got 24 mpg for the towing up to Aberdeenshire, and now 33mpg solo pootling. He has a 100,000 mile fuel consumption record which averages at 27.6mpg. Mind his engine was a £2500 option over the 5 pot petrol (iirc) He has also needed a new turbo at over a grand fitted.

If V-lux remembers the A361 drive back from Syncrospares i think my DJ had the legs on the AAZ on the hills. :shock:

I probably come over as hating diesel's, but I can see the benefit, and as Jed said you gotta have the engine that suits your purpose, my mainly main road bashing suits the DJ just fine, plus I am tied to them by an umbilical cord, as I have had the (mis)fortune to have always had a flat four dub, right from childhood in South Africa in a splitty, then a variant, then bays, 5 T25's including two syncro's before I even left home. I guess I am apologising for coming across all anti diesel, but I cant help loving the flat four, it's what makes the syncro a syncro to me. It gives the dub character, and I have found that I have never been restricted by any quirk of the flat four. With standard wheels for the gearbox G is always enough for me. Having this attachment to the flat four makes me probably unreasonably defensive of it. :roll:
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

Indeed i do remember the trip back from North Devon...

However since then ive got a new cylinder head, adjusted timing, and a little more boost.

The difference in performance has been very noticeable since doing that work to the engine, and i'm getting slightly better fuel consumption even with being able to keep up speed on hills now. (it used to run out of steam a bit that's for sure!!)

Still could be better fuel consumption however, for a diesel i mean. PC52's figures are far more where you want to be with a diesel really...