The unluckiest man alive is ......

Chat about the 25 Years Anniversary meet (May 2010) at Mammut Park Germany here!

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

The unluckiest man alive is ......

Post by syncropaddy »

GLEN!!

He missed the ferry by a cars length! We were one car ahead of Glen boarding the ferry, we got on and so did the car behind but they wouldnt let Glen on. There was plenty of space as well but he had to wait 2 hours.

We felt for you Glen and it was great to have your company on the drive to Dunkerque :D
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

PC52
80-90 Mem No: 3428

Re: The unluckiest man alive is ......

Post by PC52 »

That sounds about right! Not quite sure about this ferry company now - Roger and Julia got hit for another £48 'cos they were classed as a commercial - even told them when you went out the other side was contacted and to make sure that they were to pay on the return trip!
And we got a telling off about the cb arials twanging on the roof.
1.9 TDI Syncro Multivan
1.9 TDI Doka project in progress

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

No hassle via Hull, took the aerials down before going on board though, not for their sake but cos didn't want any damage to the vans, then put them back on by the customs shed once we were off the boat.
Stopped for a brew as soon as we landed though as boat discharged into Hull rushhour :roll:
P&O good, not the cheapest and no food for a vegan but otherwise a good crossing and saved 2 days driving so well worth it

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Aidan wrote:..... no food for a vegan .....

I didnt know you had one of those :D They can be very forgetful you know!
syncropaddy

eltee
80-90 Mem No: 8417

Post by eltee »

we crossed Newcastle to amsterdam, height wise we paid for up to 2.35m but they put us with the big vans and commercials.
scary thing was everyone who drove off at amsterdam was breathalised by plod with a gun!!!!!
91 syncro ex bundeswehr

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

YEs they were right misrable bastards sticking the cone across the road and then leaving the ramp setup for at least another minute so there would have been loads of time - thought of dukes of hazzarding it but I'm sure wouldn't have been a good idea.

If I didn't have to waist time climbing across the cab for the french passport control (judgeing by the smug grin the novalty of anoying RHD cars still hadn't worn off) or if gone with my inital thought of sliding the van through all the pointless chicanes at twatish speeds I may well have made it - next time I'll leave passport control its rally time!

In other respects though I think Norfok line were pritty good. Was a rough crossing back and the boat nearly missed the french keyside due to the sidewind (must have mighty bow and stern thrusters, we've done something simular on the tugs at work and it took some corecting!). No questions of pannel vans on the return eather (they asked on the way out as I said it was a car on the booking (its a 6 seater van with a window in the door) but when I mentioned camper they just said "oh, put that on the booking next time" and didn't want my genral lack of intereour. On the way out [Maersk Delft] I was sent in the bottem with the lorrys. On the way back [Maersk Dover] they were going to send me up to the top deck down the little 2.4m high tube (which wouldn't have bothered me, it goes under 2.2m with ease if I take the DAB bee sting areal off the roof, the CB would have just twanged along the roof as it sits about 3.5m tall) but the guy directing me saw me comming and sent me with the lorrys again (soon followed by a slammed bay who didn't want to do the ramp). All in all much better than LD lines or whatever they call themselfs this year as whilst they are cheep, they don't always turn up. NL ran perfectly to time (due to following last loading times too sereously no doubt).

Don't think the car behind me that also just missed the ferry was very happy though, he'd just payed an extra £50 to go a day earlyer on the 1800 ferry that we'd just missed. He seemed even less impressed when he found out I was booked on the 2200 and they were sending me earlyer at no cost.

Cheers for the mini convoy across europe Andrew, made it much nicer being able to have a chat. shame we didn't get to say bye properly but at least we survived.
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

Syncro G wrote:
Cheers for the mini convoy across europe Andrew, made it much nicer being able to have a chat. shame we didn't get to say bye properly but at least we survived.

No problem Glen, maybe we will catch up at Syncropendence in Wales
syncropaddy

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Just for the record i only payed for the under 2.5m ticket with Norfolk Line. I was way over and they still let me on just put me on with the lorries instead. Sailed back with Sea France last night and found the Facilities looked better but still a rip off for food or drink. £4 for a bottle of coke in the cafe area :shock:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Norfolk-line quite fair for grub and drinks... and prices, fort. they didn't question our commerical status on way back, as I'd made it pretty clear when sent to office on way over that we were a car that just happened to look like a pick up :D
So a bummer for R&J - would have had a right flaming temper tantrum at £48 s/charge. Suppose it depends on the Little-Hitlerness of whomsoever you get in the kiosk on the day?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

syncropaddy

Post by syncropaddy »

I wont use Norfolkline again as Ive always found the others better. I found their food and drink charges on the high side compared with the Irish sea routes
syncropaddy